Video Card Replacement
-> Hardware

#1: Video Card Replacement Author: Thud68Location: AZ USA PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:55 pm
    ----
Couple days ago my Nvidia GEForce 7950 GT card took a dump and I'm looking for a replacement card.

Currently running a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop, Pentium 4CPU 3.00GHZ
2GB Ram, XP pro operating system w/SP3. MoBo has a PCI Express slot X16 (1), PCI Express slot X1 (1), PCI slots (3).

Took a look at the GE Force 220GT card but am not thrilled with the reviews.

Spent a lot on the 7950 and it didn't last too long. Anybody got any suggestions on what direction I should go?

Thanks Cool

#2: Re: Video Card Replacement Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:44 pm
    ----
Hi Thud Smile

as for GPU I'd say the nVidia's 5xx's are a good alternative EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked , thing is I dunno your budget and what you wanna use it for.
I also see that you are using 2G's of RAM, if you are running XP then I can advise that you get that up to 4G, today the RAM sticks are cheap as dirt so wel worth the investment and to prolong the lifespan of your sytem and to give a bit more breathing space Wink

fled
Cool

#3: Re: Video Card Replacement Author: Thud68Location: AZ USA PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:33 am
    ----
Thanks Fled

I'll take a peak at that card. Are these newer cards that tout Direct X 10.1 and 11 back compatible with 9.0?

Still flying Il-2 on Hyperlobbby.........

#4: Re: Video Card Replacement Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 pm
    ----
hi mate.

yup they are backwards compatible Smile

fled
Cool

#5: Re: Video Card Replacement Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:07 pm
    ----
I would also agree on increasing your RAM.
It's also important to note that; while the 4Gb memory limit is from 32-bit operating systems, it also includes your GPU's onboard RAM which gets priority.

So, if your card has 1Gb onboard RAM, your 32-bit operating system will only see 3Gb of the new 4Gb RAM total you are increasing to.
In such a case, I would go for a 1Gb increase.
If you're using a dual channel system, you probably have 4 slots with 2x1Gb sticks already in place.
You might want to add 2x500Mb sticks in the other two slots.
Make sure it's the same type (DDR2, etc), and the CL ratings match the sticks you already have.

So, if you have 3200, CL 3.5, you're looking for the same stuff, preferable from the same manufacturer.
And buy both sticks as a pair.

[edit: Having more RAM won't hurt the system, it just gives it more to play with which makes it perform better, graphically.
If you put 4Gb in and you have 1Gb on the card, it just won't see all 4Gb.
Just seemed a possible cost saving so I mention because RedSkwirrells have Scots blood (and I'm tight).]

p.s. I was in AZ not three weeks ago!

#6: Re: Video Card Replacement Author: Thud68Location: AZ USA PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:42 am
    ----
Thanks for the tip Shades.

Were you down here putting out all these squirell caused fires? LOL Cool

#7: Re: Video Card Replacement Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:00 pm
    ----
*caused Barbecues

#8: Re: Video Card Replacement Author: Thud68Location: AZ USA PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 am
    ----
Bought the 220GT card and installed an extra gig of RAM. Anybody tell me what video card settings I should be running for IL-2? Cool

-> Hardware