Cobra King (Update)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Cobra King (Update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:08 pm
    ----
Well now

As most are aware, things are moving along with Cobra King as the pending movement date to Ft Benning looms closer.

Efforts are continuing to complete the phase 1 restoration/preservation of Cobra King.

Here is how she appeared last week:

There has been a problem with the rotation of the right side final drive and the track has yet to be mounted. The final drive was removed to attempt to free up the rotation of the sprocket/hub. An inner gear was found to be totally stripped of its 'teeth'. Cause is obviously unknown.

Unfortunately debris may have jammed the final drive 'inner workings' and it still doesn't seem to want to rotate freely. With time running out it may not be able to be freed up prior to departure.

More photos when I get them, as the work is still ongoing.

Thought y'all would be interested in this latest update.

Regards
Don

#2: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:22 pm
    ----
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the final drive. I was hoping that Cobra King might end up as a "runner" - that would have been SWEET!

Don't forget to do a bunch of hi-res photos for us in the peanut gallery before the Infantry guys truck her away.

Gary B.

#3: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:46 pm
    ----
Gary

Not to worry, all is being recorded, photographically.

Perhaps someday 'someone' will publish an illustrated history of CK & her restoration.... Wink

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:42 pm
    ----
Cobra King is looking great but, and please don't take this wrong, I'm just curious why it was painted in this shade of gloss green instead of more closely matching the original lusterless O.D that was uncovered behind the bogie assemblies?

Mike

#5: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 am
    ----
I agree, but not my call. We are doing the best we can with what we have.....

Thanks to BRAC, budget cuts, and funds being pulled from bickering foundations, we were denied funds to purchase the proper flat Green, it was decided to use onhand gloss to further protect the tank from deteriorating from the elements.....

Now for the good news.... The area behind #1 right side bogie assembly was covered prior to primer / repainting to preserve the original color. It was actually the cleanest sample.

Eventually,....In the future,... it will be repainted with the proper flat green paint, sampled from behind the #1 bogie assembly.

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:30 am
    ----
Don,
Thanks for the answer!

That's understandable. I'm glad the sample was preserved and there are plans to change some day.

I'd donate towards the proper paint if there was a fund set up.

I guess the reason I was so curious about it is that I own a WW2 vehicle (1943 Dodge WC62) myself and it's in my blood to make it look as correct as I can.

Mike

#7: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:07 am
    ----
Here is a sample sequence on the #1 Right Side preserved paint sample:

The template was made out of gaskit material which I figured would best preserve the area of original paint.

Regards
Don

#8: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 am
    ----
Don,

Thanks for the update. The work you guys have done on Cobra King must be one of - if not THE- best documented restoration on a Sherman ever carried out. Combined with all the constraints, I would class this as an outstanding achievement. Here's hoping someone will take notice and give credit to you and all the (volunteer) staff working on it.
The people who initially discovered it in Germany will be very pleased with the end result. Here's hoping this exceptional piece of historic US armor will get the care and attention it deserves.

Regards,
Hanno Spoelstra
Sherman Register

#9: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 pm
    ----
Agreed!

#10: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 am
    ----
Its been a true team effort and could not have been as successful without the assistance of a cast of many.

There were a number of personal goals that I failed to meet regarding the project, but I'm very happy with much of the results.

Its neat to know that all the work contributed in raising a derelect static display to a restored & preserved piece of history

The project is far from complete, but it has come a long way.

Thank you for the kind words
Regards
Don

#11: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:31 am
    ----
I really envy you guys that got to work on this project. Cobra King has been my favorite tank for over 25 yrs. I really appreciate what you have done and the fact the Army saw the need to preserve this important piece of history!

Mike

#12: Re: Cobra King (Update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:15 am
    ----
I received word from 'an informed source' today,......

Cobra King made the trip south and is currently taking up residence in the TMP complex (building # 220) at Ft Benning Ga.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board