Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:06 pm
    ----

Alledgedly ones captured by Iraq.

#2: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:57 pm
    ----
I believe that is the M4A3 (105) that was shipped here to Ft Knox back several years ago.

It has since been shipped to Ft Benning.

I had the chance to climb thru the tank and photograph it in detail prior to it being shipped to Ft Benning.

As the story goes,....it was an active tank in the Iranian Army then during the Iran Iraq war, it was captured by the Iraqi forces, then in 2003 (or so) captured by US forces during the initial push into Iraq.

It made its way to Kuwait and then eventually got shipped to Ft Knox and the Patton Museum.

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:05 pm
    ----
This one, Don?

#4: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:05 am
    ----
YUP, One & the same. At least if it is the one in the first few photos.....

Joe D has some 'up close & personal' photos he took when it was still in the Kuwait,....I believe. (Joe,...... ?)

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:04 am
    ----
Different suspension.

#6: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:04 am
    ----
Didn't the 3rd or 4th Infantry Division end up with a M4A3(105)VVSS in Iraq? I'm sure that I have pics somewhere of one that was captured and painted OD by one of the units deployed there.

#7: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:27 am
    ----
Check suspension on both photos of the 105mm Sherman, early style on the one photo and "easy eight" style on the other. I think they aren't the same vehicle. Rick

#8: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:42 am
    ----
DUH..... my mistake!

Obviously a different tank. I was trying to check out the upper hull features, I didn't even look at the VVSS.....

Regards
Don

#9: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:10 pm
    ----
could be rather this one :
http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/jan2004/a012004c.html

Standing at the main gate of Forward Operating Base Raider, a World War II Sherman tank, captured and restored by soldiers of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, keeps a constant vigil.

The tank was found along a main highway, at the beginning of the war, near Forward Operating Base Speicher at an abandoned Iraqi armored vehicle school. [...]

P-O

#10: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:26 am
    ----
All those tanks were gone by the time I got back in 06, well all the Chieftains and M60A1's anyway (Was told Jordan got the M60's).

All Soviet era tanks were still there. Though by now most likely cut up for scrap metal. Price of steel finally was high enough where all the Iraqi tanks/AFV's left over from Desert Storm that sat in Kuwait near Ali Al Salim Air Base in 03 were gone by then too.

Here is a picture I took of the Fort Knox 105mm Sherman when I had her loaded up and secured at Camp Udari (now Buering) in my "Junk Yard".

105mm Sherman

The left track was T55 and fell off when a pin broke. Left it there for the Bedouins. Wasn't there long. They had already tried to scavenge the road wheels. HET unit was from Nevada and had moved some stuff for me earlier (Soviet/Iraqi floating bridges). Asked them to move the Sherman as a favor, since it wasn't an official tasking. If she stayed out there much longer the Bedouins would have cut her up. They did it with all the hard targets set up down by OP10. They literally cut a T55 up and loaded it in trucks to haul away in a weeks time. Sneaky fellows.

#11: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 am
    ----
It's no wander that 15cm sFH 13/1(Sf) auf Gw Lorraine Schlepper(f) lost its armour sheets so quickly (I assume it's all gone now)

#12: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
All those tanks were gone by the time I got back in 06, well all the Chieftains and M60A1's anyway (Was told Jordan got the M60's).

All Soviet era tanks were still there. Though by now most likely cut up for scrap metal. Price of steel finally was high enough where all the Iraqi tanks/AFV's left over from Desert Storm that sat in Kuwait near Ali Al Salim Air Base in 03 were gone by then too.

Here is a picture I took of the Fort Knox 105mm Sherman when I had her loaded up and secured at Camp Udari (now Buering) in my "Junk Yard".

105mm Sherman

The left track was T55 and fell off when a pin broke. Left it there for the Bedouins. Wasn't there long. They had already tried to scavenge the road wheels. HET unit was from Nevada and had moved some stuff for me earlier (Soviet/Iraqi floating bridges). Asked them to move the Sherman as a favor, since it wasn't an official tasking. If she stayed out there much longer the Bedouins would have cut her up. They did it with all the hard targets set up down by OP10. They literally cut a T55 up and loaded it in trucks to haul away in a weeks time. Sneaky fellows.

What type of truck+trailer combo is the Sherman being loaded onto? That really screams diorama to me Cool

#13: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:01 am
    ----
Standard US Army M1070 HET with M1000 Trailer made by Osh Kosh.

Unit was the 257th Truck Company (IIRC). Have a series of pictures documenting the upload, 4 troopers with two trucks. Figured sooner or later some one with skills (Not Me) might want to make a model of the scene. I also have some walk around and interior shots taken around the same time.

#14: Re: Iranian Cheiftains, M60s & Sherman Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Standard US Army M1070 HET with M1000 Trailer made by Osh Kosh.

Unit was the 257th Truck Company (IIRC). Have a series of pictures documenting the upload, 4 troopers with two trucks. Figured sooner or later some one with skills (Not Me) might want to make a model of the scene. I also have some walk around and interior shots taken around the same time.

Oh, I don't claim to have any particular skills, and in any case it'll probably be a while before I get around to this (add to that the lack of an M1070+M1000 kit at the moment). Thanks for the info either way Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board