Submerged Shermans
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Submerged Shermans Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:52 pm
    ----

SS Empire Heritage sunk at Malin Head off the coast of Ireland.

www.youtube.com/watch?...r_embedded

#2: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Very interesting! I noticed in the comments that the drivers where asked how many tanks there was.

I think I counted 7, maybe 8.

Sgt, Scouts out!

#3: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:45 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
I noticed in the comments that the drivers where asked how many tanks there was.

The drivers were still there?!?! Shocked

Ah yes, of course, who else talked to the divers. . . Mr. Green

#4: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:26 am
    ----
Is the inverted vehicle a Sherman? The tracks differ from the other one.

#5: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:08 pm
    ----
the one at the left has rubber padded tracks fitted, the one at the right steel chevron tracks

If you watch the youtube movie the front cover of the right vehicle is also visible and that's also that of a Sherman

Michel

#6: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: 3R22RLocation: Ste-Agathe des Monts QC PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:50 pm
    ----
Are they too deep to be recovered or worth the effort? From that photo the tracks looks good from this angle.

#7: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:24 pm
    ----
65metres.
What's a Sherman that's been submerged in the sea for 70 years worth?

#8: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:51 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
65metres.
What's a Sherman that's been submerged in the sea for 70 years worth?

Nothing, because salvaging will cost a fortune

If it would have been a freighter with German tanks, they would already have been "rescued" Mr. Green

Michel

#9: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:31 pm
    ----
Looking at the state of the Stugs that came from the Santa Fe, you'd be quite right there!

#10: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:13 am
    ----
"Sherman tanks from the shipwreck of the Empire Heritage that lies in 70m depth. The wreck is located off the north coast of Donegal in Ireland"

video: vimeo.com/78827838

#11: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:38 pm
    ----
It looks like this one had been sitting on a trailer.

U-boats sank 2,779 ships in WW2 for a total of 14.1 million tons. In 1942 alone, 6 million tons of shipping were sunk in the Atlantic, many of them right off the east coast of the U.S. I bet there's a whole bunch of Liberty ships full of jeeps and trucks and tanks down there.

#12: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:31 pm
    ----
saw a TV show that this wreck was featured on, apparently the Shermans, among other things were deck cargo and at least one of them had the 76 mm gun

Last edited by piney on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

#13: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:54 am
    ----
This is a nice picture:

#14: Re: Submerged Shermans Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:01 pm
    ----
Excellent picture, indeed!

It seems subsea is the only place left where one can see an undisturbed Sherman tank graveyard. Above sea they have all been picked clean...

-> AFV News Discussion Board