AVLB identification, please...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AVLB identification, please... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm
    ----
Can someone (Joe?) ID this AVLB in Vietnam for me with certainty. Is it M60 or M48 chassis and why? (I didn't think M60 AVLB's were in service then).

The glacis looks straight, but the angle might be misleading.

#2: Re: AVLB identification, please... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:21 pm
    ----
Looks to be an M60AVLB. The M728 CEV and the M60 AVLB were the only M60s in RVN, the M60 and M60A1 gun tanks didn't go there (needed for NATO and CONUS). I understand that there were some M48A2 AVLBs in RVN (along with some M48A2C gun tanks), but this vehicle has the air cleaners of a diesel-engine vehicle and apperas to have the straight glacis of the M60 chassis.

#3: Re: AVLB identification, please... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:23 pm
    ----
It looks really like an M60 AVLB :

http://www.primeportal.net/ce/gert/m60_avlb_photos_1.htm

P-O

#4: Re: AVLB identification, please... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:59 pm
    ----
She's an M60 AVLB,

Those and M728's first started appearing in Vietnam around '69 . Gary is right about the air cleaners being an indicator. M48A3 AVLB's didn't come about till the late 70's, so any AVLB during that time period with those ubiquitous side loading air cleaners would have to be an M60. Wish I could see the RN in the picture. There is a pretty good chance this M60 served in Desert Storm and OIF.

#5: Re: AVLB identification, please... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:55 pm
    ----
Front fender is an M60 giveaway. Doubtful this particular vehicle served in ODS or OIF. Most were rebuilt M60A2 hulls by then.

#6: Re: AVLB identification, please... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:23 am
    ----
Gotta polite fully disagree with you on this one Rob,

Here's a picture of SN 115 still in service I took at FT Knox in 2008.

SN 115
Data Plate RN 9B8163

That's the original Data Plate with the GOV acceptance stamp and date of JULY 1965.

Here's a picture of SN 188 at FOB Iskan Iraq I took in 2007.

SN 188
Data Plate RN 09A36567

That's the launcher Data Plate showing both the SN and RN, the RN is the second type which used the acceptance year for the last two digits (1967).

To my knowledge all M60A1 AVLB hulls stayed in service (exceptions maybe ones destroyed beyond repair) and were constantly upgraded. I'm sure many are now in storage with the new force restructuring and most likely will be retired soon.

#7: Re: AVLB identification, please... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:23 pm
    ----
Hi Guys!

All the AVLBs I saw in the RVN were M60s.

It is my understanding that when the M48A3 AVLBs and M60A2s conversions where done, they were added to the two vehicles section to make them three or maybe four vehicles sections.

When the 3rd ACR loaded out of Ft Bliss for Ft Carson, they had M48s, M60A2s and M60 AVLBs.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board