CFB Borden Museum Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:34 pm
    ----
Hello All,

We’ve added a gallery of photos from the fantastic CFB Borden museum.

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...546_zswc3g

Some of the Hits:
Indoors -
1916 Mk A Whippet

Italian Fiat-Ansaldo M13/40

Outdoors-
Flakpanzer IV Wirbelwind

M4A4(75) Sherman Crab

Ram Mk II - Early Version

Enjoy!
VB

#2: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:22 am
    ----
That's really a wonderful collection that most likely I will never visit in person. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Massimo

#3: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:07 pm
    ----
Thanks Massimo!

I appreciate your photos of collections that I, too, am unlikely to see. That's one of the great things about this forum!

Cheers!

#4: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:36 pm
    ----
Very nice collection indeed !
Thanks for sharing

Walter

#5: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 pm
    ----
VB, how did you get the colour balance inside? My pictures came out very green.

#6: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:44 pm
    ----
Gents -you are welcome!

Trevor - we use an Expodisc to set a custom white balance for our cameras. It is a simple and very convenient device that fits over the end of the camera lens.

Link for Expodisc:
www.expoimaging.com/pr...p?cat_id=1

An alternative would be a collapsible 18% Grey card that you could use for colour balance as well as exposure.

Since we shoot almost exclusively in JPEG, we make the effort to get as much correct in camera as possible - I really hate spending time in post-processing on the computer!

Cheers,
VB

#7: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:28 am
    ----
CFB Borden is definitely on my Bucket list for AFV sites.

The Whippet and Wirbelwind alone would be worth going for.

#8: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:30 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
VB, how did you get the colour balance inside? My pictures came out very green.

Do you have only .jpg or did you shoot raw too (.CR2)?
With raw you can set white balance the way you like during post-processing.

Massimo

#9: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:57 am
    ----
- vagabond
Gents -you are welcome!

Trevor - we use an Expodisc to set a custom white balance for our cameras. It is a simple and very convenient device that fits over the end of the camera lens.

Link for Expodisc:

An alternative would be a collapsible 18% Grey card that you could use for colour balance as well as exposure.

Since we shoot almost exclusively in JPEG, we make the effort to get as much correct in camera as possible - I really hate spending time in post-processing on the computer!

Cheers,
VB

Thanks - I'll look into it. I too prefer to work in jpg wherever possible.

- Massimo_Foti
Do you have only .jpg or did you shoot raw too (.CR2)?
With raw you can set white balance the way you like during post-processing.

Massimo

I didn't have the option with the old camera, which is the one I had at Borden. With the new 600D I've taken to capturing both as an 'insurance policy' (e.g. at Overloon). So far I've just used the jpg, but I can see cases where I'll go to the extra effort of post-processing the RAW where the lighting was particularly difficult.

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

#10: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:46 pm
    ----
Very Nice Vagabond!

And I'm glad you answered the question about the indoor lighting- I was there again last week taking additional shots of the Mk VIB and regardl;ess of my settings, all the indoor shots are green!

I was also wondering about a few of your shots then I realized that these photos date from 3 years ago. A number of the outdoor exhibits have been moved following blasting and repainting, including the M4A2.

Still very much a place to visit when you get the chance but every visit is a bit of an adventure!

Bruce

#11: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 pm
    ----
Thanks for the kind words, Bruce!

We will be in Toronto in November with the latest tour and hope to get back up to Borden at that time - weather depending! - and see what has changed.

We've got a huge backlog of photos and are trying to get them posted - but the whole "Making a living" thing takes up valuable time that could be spent taking photos and posting galleries!
Of course the job has made it possible to visit all these places and see the collections - so I am very grateful. Just need more hours in the day and $ in the bank! LOL!

Cheers!
VB

#12: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:46 pm
    ----
- vagabond
Gents -you are welcome!

Link for Expodisc:

Cheers,
VB

That is really trick. I wish I'd had something like that at Aberdeen a few years ago for the "warehouse". Not that I had the kind of camera that I could have put it on. Rolling Eyes

#13: Re: CFB Borden Museum Gallery Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:59 pm
    ----
Since you'll be in the area in November, might I suggest that you also stop by the Ontario Regiment Museum out at the Oshawa Airport about 50km east of Toronto.

They have what is billed as the largest collection of running AFV's in Canada including Sherman, M-24 Chaffee, M551 Sheridan and numerous others. Excellent access to all the vehicles including an Abbott SPG, a couple of M-60's, several LAV's, trucks etc.

Was there recently when they rolled out the restored Sheridan.

Worth a visit.

Bruce

-> AFV News Discussion Board