So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'?
-> Officer's Club

#1: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:32 pm
    ----
5.8/5.9 earthquake centered on Mineral VA just outside of Richmond at 1:51PM. Got a pretty good jolt here, and you can't get a phone circuit for love nor money.

Homesick for California yet?

#2: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:19 pm
    ----
Up here in the DC suburbs we felt it pretty good. I was in Milpitas CA when a 5.5 hit a few miles from my hotel. We were a hundred miles or so from this one and it felt worse. I've been told that it was because this one is 'close' to the surface (3.7 miles underground)

This one was about 10 miles from a Nuclear powerplant. They say everything is oky but I remember Tokyo Electric saying the same thing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

#3: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm
    ----
Yep, Lake Anna nuke plant was shut down temporarily, I heard.

I was at work just outside the D.C. Beltway and it was funny - there were about 5 of us in a design meeting, the shaking starts but it's just real light, for some reason everyone looked at me and I just said "It's gonna be fine, no worries". But it just kept going, however was still very light so I repeated myself, and after what seemed like 20 or 30 seconds then it REALLY started picking up, then I got this look like "You're full of it" and people started bolting for the door and of course, as soon as they got halfway to it, it stopped. Which is why I stopped even getting up during earthquakes to begin with back in SoCal.

Out in the hallway it was a different story and one manager was running down the hallway (we're on the 3rd floor) with a couple of her employees jogging behind her and I said "Lets stay calm, it's over, it's O.K." and she yells "LETS GET OUT OF HERE!". LMAO!

So we evacuated the building and I don't think she every really did calm down. Thankfully, upper mgmt decided to let everyone go home early after they made sure the building was OK. Which means that we core managers stayed until normal closing time anyway. Rolling Eyes

Then VDOT decided to lift the HOV lane restrictions to deal with the surge in traffic due to everyone hitting the freeway at about the same time so the commute home on the bike took longer than normal - well it was still a nice pretty day to ride so I took a diversion down a scenic country road on the way home to make up for it.

All in all pretty much a nuthin' deal and I'll take earthquakes over friggin' hurricanes and tornadoes ANY day of the week, they're over and done with a whole lot quicker!

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:12 pm
    ----
Felt this one while at work today in Bridgman Michigan... US Nukes are a far cry better than Japans, we have an entirely different culture.

In the US, after 3 - mile, everyone starting sharing all learning experiences and challenging each other to improve...

I know one plant was running on emergency diesel generators as they lost offsite power - they can safely shut down using DC power and the DG's will keep their batts charged -

Slow

#5: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 pm
    ----
felt it here in "joisey" as Bob Smart would say, never felt one before, no local damage, actually kinda a cool experience at this level of vibration

#6: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:55 pm
    ----
- piney
felt it here in "joisey" as Bob Smart would say, never felt one before, no local damage, actually kinda a cool experience at this level of vibration

When the wifey and I were back in SoCal it was actually fun to experience an earthquake while laying in our waterbed. Smile

#7: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:35 pm
    ----
lol

Sodabed

#8: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:17 pm
    ----
Now I get to drive down to the NC coast and board up a beach house in the expected landfall of Hurricane Irene. Everyone behave!

#9: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:57 pm
    ----
.......... sure boss Rolling Eyes

GUYS !!

let's get and taste that latest shipment of Molson's Reserve

the boss hogman is awol for a few stormy days Twisted Evil

#10: Re: So, Stoopy, how was that one for ya'? Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:40 am
    ----
Glad to hear every one survived Smile

And Ascout, was thinking about you while watching the Nightly news and hearing about the evacs in NC. Be safe...and make sure you protect the muscadine wine. Wink

-> Officer's Club