Czech AT-gun ID
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Czech AT-gun ID Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 am
    ----
Hi folks,

could some one help me what the correct description of gun is shown at the photo below
The museum description plate is telling that it is a Skoda M37, however if you search this in the internet you get a 75mm AA-gun called Skoda M37

During WW2 it has been used in the German army and they listed it as 37mm PaK 37(t) or 37mm PaK 156(j)
However these 2 German descriptions group various variations of 37mm AT-guns

Michel

#2: Re: Czech AT-gun ID Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:46 pm
    ----
I guess you already checked this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/....V._vz._37

Massimo

#3: Re: Czech AT-gun ID Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:29 pm
    ----
Massimo, you are correct I tried that one Wink

The problem is that there are some more options
- 37mm kanon P.U.V. vz. 37 (your option)
- Skoda 37mm PÚV vz 34
- Skoda A-7

And I also found at a site for the Czech army
- KPÚV mod. 37 M
- KPÚV mod. 37 J
- KPÚV mod. 37 P
It seams the different letters at the end, designate cavalry, infantry of motorized unit
The infantry version had the wooden spoked wheels, the other 2 units the rubber tire

There are to much different option for this gun ...... Crying or Very sad

#4: Re: Czech AT-gun ID Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:34 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
The problem is that there are some more options
- 37mm kanon P.U.V. vz. 37 (your option)
- Skoda 37mm PÚV vz 34

Wikipedia reports this too:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...9AV_vz._34

- Michel_Krauss
- Skoda A-7

My understanding is this was the internal Skoda designation.

Massimo

#5: Re: Czech AT-gun ID Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 pm
    ----
the wiki information about the 37mm PÚV vz 34 also tells that it could be fitted with pneumatic tires
also that the 34 perhaps was not used during WW2, does not mean it was not used at all

It could have been used for inland security for strategic locations, instead of front line duty
THen it also would have recieved a German designation

I tried the links below, they are both Czech, to compare pictures however they are not conclusive
There is a difference in the shape of the gun shield, however it is not fitted at the Overloon piece

brannamoc1938garda.web...aze-37-mm/

brannamoc1938garda.web...aze-37-mm/

#6: Re: Czech AT-gun ID Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:46 am
    ----
Dear Sirs,
Czechoslovak armed forces used two similar anti-tank guns: 3.7 cm kanon vz. 37 (37.2 mm Skoda A-4) had similar dimensions as the older model 3.7 cm kanon vz. 34 (37.2 mm Skoda A-3). The photos can distinguish these weapons:

3.7 cm kanon vz. 34 has a flat top shield and use only ammunition vz.34. Photo version 3,7 cm kanon 34P - via Army Museum of Prague.

3.7 cm kanon vz. 37 is undulated above the shield, and could use the ammunition and vz.34 & vz.37. Photo via Flickr by Massimo Foti - version: 3,7 cm kanon 37P, or Wh designation: 3,7 cm PaK 37 (t).

#7: Re: Czech AT-gun ID Author: howitzerLocation: Kolín, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:27 pm
    ----
Hello
On your photo is Czechoslovak vz.37 gun, no shield in the design M (for motorized units). In the Wehrmacht cannon is marked 3.7 cm PAK 37 (t). It certainly is not going captured in Yugoslavia, because these guns were equipped only with wooden wheels. As explained by Mr. Tintera Dear colleague, the Czechoslovak army was equipped with two cannons of the same caliber. It was KPÚV vz.34 and 37 The main distinguishing feature is the shape shield and wheels. Tires were equipped with only a gun vz.37 version M (motorized units) and J (cavalry).

#8: Re: Czech AT-gun ID Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:01 pm
    ----
Hi folks,

thanks for the help everybody with the ID

Then a 3.7 cm kanon vz. 37 it will be

Michel

-> Artillery Forum