Falaise museum
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Falaise museum Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:29 pm
    ----
There was a message on www.twenot-forums.nl/v...=2&t=24998 that the owner of the Falaise museum (Aout 1944) passed away.

Is it already known what will happen with the collection?

Regards,
Lesley

#2: Re: Falaise museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:56 pm
    ----
I believe there was an auction recently - if it wasn't discussed here then I read it in an MV magazine.

#3: Re: Falaise museum Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:38 pm
    ----
There was a Panther present, if it would have been sold it must have surfaced somewhere

I think Confused

#4: Re: Falaise museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:39 am
    ----
The Panther was from Saumur, so I imagine it would have to go back there.

Falaise Museum

#5: Re: Falaise museum Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:14 am
    ----
www.normandie44lamemoi...laise.html
"Musée août 1944
Ce musée est installé dans une ancienne fromagerie, au pied du château médiéval, et relate la Bataille de la poche de Falaise. Mannequins et véhicules sont mis en situation pour faire revivre les combats de ce mois d’août 1944. Du matériel est également exposé à l’extérieur. L'accès au musée s'effectue après le franchissement d'une travée de pont Bayley.
Important : le musée est définitivement fermé."
Looks like it's shut.

translate.google.co.uk...d%3Dimvnso
The translation's a bit mangled
"The elected members of the community of communes of Falaise wish that the museum is Aug. 44 at Falaise. Son propriétaire a effectivement décidé de le transférer à Colleville-sur-Mer, d'ici à deux ans. Its owner has actually decided to transfer to Colleville-sur-Mer, within two years. Les élus sont venus visiter ce lieu de mémoire, au sein duquel l'histoire de la Poche de Falaise est retracée. « Nous aimerions que ce musée reste ici, a déclaré le président de la CDC. Pour cela, il faudrait que la communauté le rachète, mais elle n'en a pas les moyens. Elected officials came to visit this place of memory, in which the story of the Falaise Pocket is recounted. "We would like this museum is here, said the president of the CDC. For this, the community would have the bought, but it does not afford. » Le sujet est l'objet d'une réflexion entre les élus. « Nous avons obligation de nous intéresser à cette mémoire-là, afin de la transmettre aux générations futures », a déclaré Jean-Marie Gasnier. "The subject is the subject of discussion among elected officials." We have obligation to concern ourselves with that memory, to transmit to future generations, "said Jean-Marie Gasnier"

#6: Re: Falaise museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:40 pm
    ----
that's what I've heard too. The owner of the museum died in 2010, and his son has a full-time job and doesn't have the time and the means to let the musuem open (i.e. he can't stay at the mueum to let it open and can't pay someone to do it).

I've also heard that there was a project to gather two museums and open a bigger one in the near of Omaha Beach. However, this project meets some difficulties, because smaller museums on the coast are afraid that it would be an unfait competition. So, AFAIK nothing is done yet, neither a moving/relocation, nor a sale/auction of the museum.

Anyway there was no plan to re-open this museum, in any case it will not stay at Falaise (it is way too far from the usual "memory" tours and doesn't attract enough people).

P-O

#7: Re: Falaise museum Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:43 pm
    ----
I've been lucky to visit the Falaise "museum" many moons ago, the man was a warm person and keen to explain whatever questions where thrown at him, a really great experience, it was noticeable that he had put his hart in to it all, it would be a real shame when it got lost.

#8: Re: Falaise museum Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:40 pm
    ----
Agreed that it would be a shame to lose this collection.

I personally liked the fact that it was a little off the beaten track from the "memory" tours situated as it was in a very significant historic location.

And the displays had a real " we found it here" feel to them- no sanitized, public art presentation to them. And the fields around the old dairy were also wonderfully full of rusting treasures.

Too bad.

Bruce

-> AFV News Discussion Board