M47 (SN 0969) Interior
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:08 am
    ----
The M47 which was previously at the 100th Division HQ in Louisville, is undergoing cosmetic restoration.

Basically a crew has scaled or chipped all the excess layers of paint off. 'Rustmort' or a rust inhibitor was applied to areas to prevent deterioration prior to being repainted.

The interior was fairly complete to include years of birds nests but not really in too bad condition.

This tank is obviously a former Italian one. All the interior labels are in Italian.

The vehicles data plate is present. It is obviously a rebuild replaced plate as it too is completely in Italian.

The first two lines of the data plate:

"CARRO ARMATO M47" "EQUIPAC 4 UOM"
"FABBRICA American Locomotive C.O."

I'm Having some difficulties with photobucket so I'll post photos when I get the problem figured out. Sad

Regards
Don

#2: Re: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:38 am
    ----
Here are a few shots I took:

Regards
Don

#3: Re: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:09 pm
    ----
Don, does the Italian dataplate give the tank's S/N? Did the paint removal process reveal anything more about "0969" on the lugs?

KL

#4: Re: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:13 pm
    ----
Don's pictures were uploaded in a very small size. From the little I can see in the plate, there is no s/n over there.
Feel free to ask if you need any translation

Massimo

#5: Re: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:05 pm
    ----
Hi Don! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

I'm Having some difficulties with photobucket so I'll post photos when I get the problem figured out. Sad
Don

For the last few months, every time I try to go to photobucket, I get a "site not available" error message.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:54 pm
    ----
Kurt

There does not appear to ba an SN on the Italian Data Plate. I was taking these photos 'blind' in a darkened drivers hull (w/ no flashlight.)

There was no other stamped numbers present if thats what you mean.

I plan to get more photos of this interior on my next visit. This time I'll have my flashlight to make better observations & take notes. There were other data plates ( gun mount / recoil mech ) that will have some dated information for assembly purposes. But I realized that there was no appearent SN data on the Italian data plate after returning home.

More to follow
Regards
Don

#7: Re: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:50 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Don! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

Don

For the last few months, every time I try to go to photobucket, I get a "site not available" error message.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Roy

My problem is when attempting to log in I am returned to the log in page. I think its something to do with Windows 7 conflicts. Having problems with a few other sites in the log in process also.

So much for the benefits of a newer computer.....

Regards
Don

#8: Re: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:15 am
    ----
Had another go at the M47 today.

I guess this tank is 6960. Both eyelets have the same stampings and if you stand on one side is 0969 but stand on the other side its 6960.....

I did find a 5471 stamped with different style lettering on the front slope below the left front headlight. Not sure when or where this was stamped.

The Italian data plate (or Re-plate) has no stampings on it at all. Everything is printed. No other stampings are present in the drivers compartment, at least that I could find.

The original US Army Gun Mount data plate was located and it was dated 1952, so I assume this is a decent time frame for final production.

Took more detailed photos of most of the Italian markings or stickers. When I get the problems figured out I'll post them all.

Regards
Don

#9: Re: M47 (SN 0969) Interior Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:31 pm
    ----
I agree - based on others we've discussed, I'd say if it had been 969 it would have been written as 969 not 0969.

-> AFV News Discussion Board