In case you were wondering...
-> Officer's Club

#1: In case you were wondering... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:09 am
    ----
Our site was offline for a while and Tech Support had this response when queried about the problem...

"It was a server error and we had to take care of a few other small internal problems."

All seems 'good to go' now ...

#2: Re: In case you were wondering... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 am
    ----
"....and we can clearly and categorically state that Bush' had not been tinkering and can in no way, shape or form, be held responsible....!"

You missed a bit.

#3: Re: In case you were wondering... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:23 am
    ----
LOL...not that I haven't 'deserved that title' in the past mind you...lol

#4: Re: In case you were wondering... Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:24 pm
    ----
Phew, I was going through withdrawal

#5: Re: In case you were wondering... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:15 pm
    ----
Glad we're back!

Anyone that says our group had anything to do with it is a dang liar and those 30mm rounds were already missing before last night anyway!!!!

#6: Re: In case you were wondering... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:19 pm
    ----
lol

#7: Re: In case you were wondering... Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:16 pm
    ----
It's not my fault either. Shocked
The light were on and the machinery still running smoothly when I left yesterday.

Glad to see everything is working again and it wasn't our fault things went down.

Wheels

#8: Re: In case you were wondering... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:14 am
    ----
I've been having a similar weekend.

I support a product lab for Air traffic control systems. ATC systems, once deployed, tend to run for a loonngg time before being replaced. This means that the hardware they run on tend to still be in service long after they go out of service in other industries. They sometimes even stay in service so long that they out live the company that bought the company that originally produced the hardware.

Well this week I have been resurrecting a lab to support one of our older customers. This customer says they are planning on replacing their system 'in the next couple years' The system they are on now was put in service in 1999 or 2000. That means the hardware was designed several years before that and our equipment was being used to develop the software.

In the last several days I have had machines that had uptimes of 600+ days die. I had a server eat it's operating disk and have a server refuse to boot because of a dead fan.

Oh a dead fan well just replace the fan. When this boxes sister machine (everything is redundent) had a similar problem a couple years ago it took 3 weeks to find the replacement fan, and several major sellers of used equipment swore they had the fan only to call back and say every machine had had the fan stripped out of it. The vendor we finally got one from said that he hoped we never needed another one because he thinks that was the last one in North America!

So I've spent the entire weekend borrowing parts from one machine disks from another massaging the Operating system from another to get the lab back alive.

I know what guys who restore old cars, airplanes and steam engines feel like. And to pat myself on the back I don't think most of the systems guys who have come along in the last 10 years could have done it. Most of them wouldn't know how to calculate disk geometry (if they even know what it is and why it's important) I hadn't done it for years and I think I woke up brain cells that thought they had retired years ago!

So while I have some sympathy for a down server - If it was only a software problem consider yourself lucky!

#9: Re: In case you were wondering... Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:11 am
    ----
I wonder if that tree the F-16 hit was actually a well hidden Com-Central antenna???? Confused

-> Officer's Club