T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:30 am
    ----
I have placed some new photos in my photo gallery for members to check out. In 1986 I photographed the T49 Light Tank prototype, next to a M41 Light Tank which although missing its gun, still makes a nice comparison. Did the T49 make it to Fort Lee? Has anyone seen it since 1986, at that time it was in the restricted area near Munson test course? I did find online photos of it at Aberdeen May 27, 1954. Rick

#2: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:43 am
    ----
Where is your gallery? a link would be appreciated

#3: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:54 am
    ----
Bob,
Click onto my name, then onto the camera icon for my gallery. It's titled T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986. 14 photos are there. Did you ever come across the vehicle at APG? Rick

#4: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:27 am
    ----
Got it but by going back to the Com-Central Home page and going to the gallery from the Left hand margin

I think that vehicle was sitting at a building back off the beaten path (but 'outside the fence') If so it may not have been part of the Museum Collection and may still be at Aberdeen.

Neil do you know for sure? I think it is down Havre De Grace Rd past old powerplant (near the last storage area where the contents off the old Belair St fenced area ended up

I really need to get back to Aberdeen but I get depressed just thinking about it

#5: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:33 am
    ----
Bob,
I've got dozens of other photos in my albums for members to view and use for research. Let me know if it's still there. There was also an MBT-70, XM800 Automotive test vehicle, various M60A2's there also. Thanks, Rick

#6: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:35 am
    ----
I'm going to go to Aberdeen some weekend in December. Hope to get on base and see what is left in museum area. I know the Ft. Monmouth, NJ items are there since photos were posted on the flickr Aberdeen thread. It's not what it used to be there, sad to say! Will post some new photos at that time. Rick

#7: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:23 pm
    ----
Any idea whatever happened to this?

#8: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:06 pm
    ----
Silvio, Two of these were built. I'm pretty sure that the "Gate monument" at Ft. AP Hill, VA is where it was sent. I was lucky and asked guards if I could photograph it and a M41 light tank both outside gate. They were ok with it, as long as no photos of gate or base were taken. The "museum" inside base is apparently "off limits" to visitors, as one of our members can attest to. Rick

#9: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:17 am
    ----
I must admit, I am surprised such a rare prototype is not at the NACM or Fort Lee.

Could contacting PAO on base help? I got relatives near by so I would not mind visiting. Just out of curiosity, when did you try to gain access? Overtime sometimes bases loosen up.

#10: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:06 am
    ----
- silviop15
I must admit, I am surprised such a rare prototype is not at the NACM or Fort Lee.

There has never been rhyme or reason into why a particular vehicle is where it is. The oldest existing M-3 Grant sitting outside a VFW in Newark DE, a T95 prototype sitting in a local memorial park in Weirton WV. Often it seems to be where ever the vehicle was located when the army no longer needed it or what vehicle was available when a request came in for a display vehicle

Could contacting PAO on base help? I got relatives near by so I would not mind visiting. Just out of curiosity, when did you try to gain access? Overtime sometimes bases loosen up.

Since 'The War on Terror' began I have noticed a general tightening of base access

#11: Re: T49 Light Tank Aberdeen 1986 Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:17 am
    ----
Tobyhanna used to be "Fort Knox" then in 2012 they allowed 1000s people in for the open house. Fort Dix used to be near impossbile, but now people come and go at the DRMO yards, screening lots is allowed and my dad coordinated a visit to the displays a few years back.

Just my thoughts from my experiences on bases in the North east.

-> AFV News Discussion Board