Sherman tanks in Italy
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman tanks in Italy Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 pm
    ----
Hello,

I am planning a big "tankspotting" session in Italy in Spring or Summer 2012. I hope to get detailed walkarounds and find some serial numbers. Could you please give me a list of the Sherman tanks displayed in Italy?

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: Sherman tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:09 pm
    ----
First of all, contact me off-list, I may be able to assist or maybe even join for a visit or two.

You can use Trevor's website and Ferreamole as reference:
preservedtanks.com/Loc...6&Select=4
www.ferreamole.it/cont...nto_02.htm

Many tanks are inside military barracks, good luck trying to get in...

The Sherman in Ortona should be interesting:
preservedtanks.com/Loc...0&Select=4

The one in Bologna is a runner, but it's a Frankentank. The Museum is worth a visit anyway:

Piana delle Orme should be very nice, but I've never been there myself:

The Sherman in Museo Carristi is interesting too and pretty easy to visit:

Then there is Cecchignola, not that easy to be authorized for a visit, I am not sure how far the building renovation work have progressed, but in term of vehicles on display it's an amazing place.:

I may assist getting inside Cecchignola, it could be also a good excuse for me to visit it once again...

Massimo

#3: Re: Sherman tanks in Italy Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:47 am
    ----
Massimo,

I would be ready to do the trip only if a visit of Cecchignola is possible. That means, find a date for the tour that correspond with an open day in Cecchignola. Do you know when a visit is possible?
I would be glad to be able to do some visits with you, but the tour I am planning could take half a week or maybe a complete week. How did you come in Rome last time you went there, by train or airplane?

I would also like to get a decent photo of the Firefly located by Bentivoglio Bruno & C. Snc, Via della Bufalotta, Casal Boccone, Rome and probably avoid the military areas.

My priority for this trip is to see as many Sherman tanks as possible..

Pierre-Olivier

#4: Re: Sherman tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 am
    ----
- the_shadock
I would be ready to do the trip only if a visit of Cecchignola is possible.

That makes sense. BTW Vigna di Valle is great too, I know you like planes as well.

- the_shadock
That means, find a date for the tour that correspond with an open day in Cecchignola. Do you know when a visit is possible

It's on request. For sure it would be monday-friday, not during the weekend. Better thing to do is to plan for a tentative date and contact the Museum. I should be able to help on this.

- the_shadock
I would be glad to be able to do some visits with you, but the tour I am planning could take half a week or maybe a complete week. How did you come in Rome last time you went there, by train or airplane?

I can go either by plane or train, it more or less takes the same time. Plane can be cheaper if you book ahead. Train is more dependable and doesn't require commuting to the airports (that's where you waste all the time).

I could join you in Rome for Cecchignola and maybe something more.
Are you going to travel by car or rent one over there?
Cecchignola and Museo Carristi can be done with public transports, anything else would be tricky.

- the_shadock

I would also like to get a decent photo of the Firefly located by Bentivoglio Bruno & C. Snc, Via della Bufalotta, Casal Boccone, Rome

Should be doable. Maybe a telephone call ahead would make things easier.

Massimo

#5: Re: Sherman tanks in Italy Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:37 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I could join you in Rome for Cecchignola and maybe something more.
Are you going to travel by car or rent one over there?
Cecchignola and Museo Carristi can be done with public transports, anything else would be tricky

I am going to travel with my own car. I know it's more expensive, but I can put a bed in the back of my car (by removing the rear seats) so I'm planning to sleep in the car during the travel, and maybe sleep only 1 or 2 nights only at the hotel.

I'm used to do this way, I did it for the last tankspotting session in Belgium/Luxemburg, having slept 2 nights in the car.

A personal car is absolutely necessary anyway, because I would also like to quickly visit Southern France (Marseilles/Toulon area).

Now I'm trying to determine what should be visited in priority, what is easily accessible, what requires a prior planning (like Cecchinola) etc..

P-O

#6: Re: Sherman tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:57 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
I'm used to do this way, I did it for the last tankspotting session in Belgium/Luxemburg, having slept 2 nights in the car.

I am too old for that sort of things Laughing
I'll stay in an hotel, but I would be more than happy to offer you a good dinner or two in Rome

- the_shadock
Now I'm trying to determine what should be visited in priority, what is easily accessible, what requires a prior planning (like Cecchinola) etc..

- Tortona: supereasy
- Bologna: mon-fri, call them a few days ahead
- Piana delle Orme: check their website
- Museo Carristi: check their website too

What about Vigna di Valle? I am willing to offer you an extra dinner in case we are going to spend a day over there. I will leverage the excellent CHF > EUR exchange rate Smile

Massimo

#7: Re: Sherman tanks in Italy Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:37 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
What about Vigna di Valle? I am willing to offer you an extra dinner in case we are going to spend a day over there. I will leverage the excellent CHF > EUR exchange rate Smile

Massimo

well, who could say "no" to the possibility to see the unique Caproni Campini N1 :

I do love early jet fighters, so I think it is a must-see..

Massimo, do you have any information about the exact location of this curious Sherman?:
http://www.ferreamole.it/contributi/censimento/40_m4_chieti.htm

It is clearly an M4A2 built by Fisher, but it has an engine deck and rear engine doors that come from an M4(75). It's really an odd vehicle that also deserves a "serious" walkaround.

thanks

P-O

#8: Re: Sherman tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:10 pm
    ----
- the_shadock

well, who could say "no" to the possibility to see the unique Caproni Campini N1 :

I do love early jet fighters, so I think it is a must-see..

Plenty of cool, rare and unique planes over there, like Macchi MC 72, Savoia-Marchetti SM 79 and many, many more.
The combination of Cecchignola and Vigna di Valle would make an amazing trip Cool

- the_shadock

Massimo, do you have any information about the exact location of this curious Sherman?:
http://www.ferreamole.it/contributi/censimento/40_m4_chieti.htm

It is clearly an M4A2 built by Fisher, but it has an engine deck and rear engine doors that come from an M4(75). It's really an odd vehicle that also deserves a "serious" walkaround.

I don't know. Italy got Shermans from a multitude of sources, including scrapyards. Among the crazy things, not only M4A2 and M4A4 got their engine replaced with the radial, even tanks with Ford V8 got it replaced.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board