latest News about MS Flight
-> Officer's Club

#1: latest News about MS Flight Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:18 pm
    ----
today's press release by MS on Flight

=>

January 4th, 2012 – Microsoft Flight Takes to the Skies

Today, Microsoft Studios premiered Microsoft Flight, a PC game that lets players jump into the challenge, fun, and freedom of flight. Microsoft Flight will be available as a free download this spring, giving players the freedom to fly the skies over the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii, complete a variety of exciting missions, test their skills in flying challenges, or find hidden aerocaches on the island.

In Microsoft Flight, players view the world from above in a visually stunning and realistic representation of the earth, complete with region-specific weather patterns, foliage, terrain and landmarks. Players can choose to take the helm using highly rendered, accurate cockpits and authentic piloting procedures, or simply use their mouse and keyboard to control the plane in an exterior view. More experienced players can tailor the flight controls to match their skill level, making Microsoft Flight easy for beginners while still challenging for the most accomplished PC pilots.

“Many people dream of flying, but few have the chance to experience the fun of exploring the world from above. Microsoft Flight provides players the opportunity to explore that curiosity and interest,” said Joshua Howard, executive producer of Microsoft Flight. “Aviation can be incredibly technical, but we’ve taken great care to build an experience that makes taking to the skies thrilling and accessible for everyone.”

Start Exploring For Free

After downloading Microsoft Flight for free, players can jump into hours of exciting gameplay on the Big Island of Hawaii.

In addition, players who sign in to their Games for Windows – LIVE account automatically receive additional free content, including the legendary Boeing Stearman plane, supplementary missions, and access to Achievements and an Online Pilot Profile. Those looking to deepen their experience can purchase and download additional content that adds new aircraft, regions and customization options. The frequently released new content for Microsoft Flight includes daily aerocache challenges and updates that make every flight unique and fun.

Be the First to Fly the Definitive Light Sport Aircraft ICON A5
Microsoft Studios worked with the personal airplane manufacturing team at ICON Aircraft to give aviation fans the exclusive opportunity to fly the all-new ICON A5 before real-world production starts at the end of 2012. Designed by the world-class aeronautical engineers behind the Voyager spaceship, X-Prize winning SpaceShipOne, and Virgin Galatic’s SpaceShipTwo, the ICON A5 is the “jet ski for the skies,” a high-wing amphibious monoplane with a carbon fiber airframe and a comfortable, automobile-inspired cockpit with space for two. The ICON A5 will be the first aircraft available to players for free in Microsoft Flight.

“ICON Aircraft and Microsoft Flight both share the goal of making the fun of flying accessible to everyone who’s ever dreamed about it. ICON does this by fusing world-class product design with the very best engineering, and Microsoft by combining the excitement of a great gaming experience with the authenticity of a top notch flight simulator,” said ICON Aircraft CEO Kirk Hawkins.

Be the First to Experience Microsoft Flight

Additionally, sign-ups for beta are still open! Be among the first to try Microsoft Flight by applying for the closed beta at:
connect.microsoft.com/...BRQX-BXTB.

The voyage continues at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas from January 10 – 13. Those that attend will have the chance to play Microsoft Flight before it releases this spring at the Microsoft booth, located in the Central Hall.

<=

Rolling Eyes

#2: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:06 pm
    ----
*Yawn*

They've even managed to make it sound boring.

#3: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:14 pm
    ----
I hear you Herr Ascout Wink

I think it will be the end of the line for the flightsim branch of MS.

#4: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: SnorreLocation: Ziegenhain, Germany PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:04 pm
    ----
All comments on all forums I read were negative from the start. Seems MS analysts did not make their job in promoting this too well...

#5: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 pm
    ----
"“Aviation can be incredibly technical, but we’ve taken great care to build an experience that makes taking to the skies thrilling and accessible for everyone.”

Translation: We've dumbed it down so that even your sister and mom will do it....once. We call that, "expanding our customer base"...even if they visit no more than twice. No more coordination control surfaces or ruining the flight experience with concerns about managing your engine or fuel...or even altitude!

#6: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:34 pm
    ----
I can't imagine anyone being remotely interested in any M$ flightsim's.
Certainly never a combat version!

#7: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 am
    ----
this truly bites it

#8: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:49 am
    ----
However....

I recall much angst, gnashing of teeth, negativity and despair when FSX debuted. Also FS9 got it's share of criticism from the FS8 fans....remember? And FS8 before that was greeted with much cynicism by folks who weren't happy that they'd have to upgrade their machines yet again to run it well.

Although I concede the marketing aspect of a "pay as you fly" subscription-based sim is definitely not for me, nor would I expect much of anyone else to be really pleased with such an arrangement....maybe it's the price to pay to keep the franchise alive?

In a strange way FS9 really seemed to gain an even more fervent and dedicated user base after FSX came out. Since I like FSX a bit better and see unlocked potential within it when I do my next-gen hardware upgrade, I'm actually happy that MS Flight is coming out if it underscores what a pinnacle FSX really was/is despite the teething issues it went through, and maybe results in an even more dedicated and unified user base as seemingly happened with FS9.

Just some thoughts on the long and winding road of this 30-year hobby....

#9: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 am
    ----
I don't think this MS Flight promo will help anyone like it...

Standard Definition: youtu.be/eN7tgLh4pfA

Wheels

#10: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: Uhu_BlueMax PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 pm
    ----
After flying the first IL2 series, I remember when CFS3 came out it was such a let down. How did they come up with this when IL2 was already WOWing us? Think I flew it about 4 times and then put it on the shelf, where it remains ..... IL2 series ROCKS!

Dark days of profit margins and company bonuses Evil or Very Mad

#11: Re: latest News about MS Flight Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:34 pm
    ----
- wheelsup_cavu
I don't think this MS Flight promo will help anyone like it...

Wheels

"Designed for use with a keyboard and mouse, but also compatible with joystick and Playstation controllers"...or words to that effect. Very encouraging.

Since I've gotten my computer and FS9 sorted back out, I haven't even thought of installling FSX, even though my present rig handled it fine with all graphics set to max. FS9 with good mesh (OK, in my case, that's for California and SEA) and sliders full right serves all my FS needs.

-> Officer's Club