M551 Sheridan co-axial MG ammo box capacity requested
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M551 Sheridan co-axial MG ammo box capacity requested Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:46 pm
    ----
Does anyone know what the capacity of the co-axial MG ammo box was on the M551 Sheridan? I've looked through half a dozen TM's and cannot find the numbers anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

#2: Re: M551 Sheridan co-axial MG ammo box capacity requested Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 am
    ----
Can't find that either in any of my sources. You can likely calculate it closely by looking at pics of a fully loaded "regulation" Sheridan (like in Hunnicutt or other sources) and counting 7.62 ammo boxes and subtracting that capacity from 3,000 (the reg. loadout of 7.62mm). I would guess the capacity of the "ready box" to be between 500 and 1,000 rounds, but I really don't remember*.

If Don doesn't have that handy, maybe we could ask a "contact" of ours.

#3: Re: M551 Sheridan co-axial MG ammo box capacity requested Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:05 am
    ----
Thanks Doug. I figure I'll go and count the ammo boxes on the MVTF's M551 next week to see if I can figure it out that way unless I find out otherwise.

#4: Re: M551 Sheridan co-axial MG ammo box capacity requested Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:43 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
Thanks Doug. I figure I'll go and count the ammo boxes on the MVTF's M551 next week to see if I can figure it out that way unless I find out otherwise.

There is also an excellent 'factory fresh' view with full complement of gear in Hunnicutt from the left rear quarter. Wink

#5: Re: M551 Sheridan co-axial MG ammo box capacity requested Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:54 am
    ----
Hi Chris! Hi Folks!

Sorry this is not a complete answer but this is what I have found today.
Per Hunnicutt, basic load of 7.62 ammo in a A1 was 3,000 rounds.

Looking around the Ft. Bliss Musuem vehicle today, there was no label on the ready box. I did however see a rack, front left side of the turret, for "7.62mm ammo" that would hold 4 cans which would account for 800 rounds. That leaves 2,200 more rounds to be account for.

Any chance that ready box is the same one used in the M48/60 series tanks?

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board