Hey Doug, grab a barf bag
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Hey Doug, grab a barf bag Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 pm
    ----
before reading. came across this while reasearching some thing else. I think it's by you know who, originator of the G****

A good case can be made for using the M-551 Sheridan chassis for a Tankita, as opposed to an M-113.

The M-551 has a MUCH lower profile, making harder to see and hit.

It's suspension is already designed to bear the weight of a steel armor package.

It is already configured for air-drops.

It has demonstrated the ability to provide a stable firing platform for a 152mm gun-launcher.

It's frontal armor is at a much steeper angle than the M-113, greatly increasing protection.

We already have hundreds of 'em, and they SUCK as presently armed.

Since we already have hundreds of 'em, their infrastructure and supply chains are fully in place.

Our ABN. soldiers are already familiar with the vehicle, and our maintenance personnel are fully trained to service and repair them.

I just don't think it'd be a great idea to modify an APC to be a Tankita, when we've already got a Tankita now that needs serious upgrading. Killing two birds with one stone is always the way to go if you can.
To me, the ULTIMATE Tankita is based on the M-551hull, with ERA block add-on armor, equipped with a low-profile 1 man Chobham turret, and an autoloading gyro-stabilized 75/120mm gun- Targeted by a 2nd Gen 360° independently rotating Flir turret, with full ballistic solution, and the JTIDS data system. Operated by a two man crew. I would mount an SUU-11 7.62mm 6bbl mini-gun as the co-axial weapon.

Here, you would have a vehicle that could out-gun today's heavies, with excellent mobility, good infantry suppression ability, excellent anti-helicopter capability, and very good armored protection- All in an existing air-droppable package.
To me, the only question is whether it could handle the recoil of a 75/120mm. If not, even a 75/105mm would GREATLY increase the lethality over an ARES 75mm OR GAU- 13, and has already been proven to work just fine on vehicles of this size. I'd try everything to make a 75/120mm work. Failing that, I'd go 75/105mm, which we already know would work.
Twisted Evil

www.angelfire.com/art/...kita2.html

Laughing

#2: Re: Hey Doug, grab a barf bag Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:55 pm
    ----
Oh, Jeez.... Rolling Eyes

Apparently, everybody's favorite geriatric and reality-challenged lieutenant (or an unfortunate acolyte) didn't get the memo about how parts were drying up a couple of decades ago and what their fate ultimately was.

"With hindsight I realize some of the ideas that I suggested may not be viable"

Ya' think? Laughing

#3: Re: Hey Doug, grab a barf bag Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:45 pm
    ----
Hi Piney! Hi Folks!

Quick! Where did I put my braf bags?

I guess Mr. S@#$%^ never heard about the M8 AGS.

Tankita? Is that a real idea, or just another round of BS from the one "who shall not be name" (Sorry Kelly Ripia)?

Speaking of M551s, I plan on attacking one in a few hours. The turret on the museum's M551 is pointed over the rear deck. Last week, I was inside it and found the travel lock is rusted in the locked position. I have premission to do what ever I can to free it up and get the turret turn around to the front.
I am hoping a few taps with a hammer might move it back. If not plan B is to try removeing the four bolts that hold the travel lock assemble to the edge of the turret. It's a good day to be in the motor pool, overcast with a chance of rain. Reminds me of the good old days!

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Hey Doug, grab a barf bag Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Piney! Hi Folks!
I am hoping a few taps with a hammer might move it back.
Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Ah, the Jeremy Clarkson school of automotive/armored vehicle repair!

(couldn't resist)

#5: Re: Hey Doug, grab a barf bag Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:30 pm
    ----
Remember...if a few taps with a hammer don't fix it, you're problem is electrical.

#6: Re: Hey Doug, grab a barf bag Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Status Report!
Plan A, a few taps with a hammer didn't move the travel lock.
Plan B, didn't help, remove the four bolts that hold the travel lock assemble to the turret edge.
While trying to remove one of the bolts, I found that part of the main gun ammo rack, left front of the turret, had been unbolted and was jammed between the turret and the side of the hull. Took a little bit of work to free it up and move it out of the way. I don't understand why anyone would do that. The rack to way to big, I think, to pass through the hatchs.

Time of to do the un-American male thing, HELP!!!!!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to free up a turret that has not been moved in a long time. Seals on the loader's hatch are mostly gone and rain has leaked into the turret. My guess is the turret ring is rusted and frozen just like the travel lock is.

All I have to work with is a basic set of automative tools. So any thing like getting a crane and lifting the turret off is out of the question for now.

Mark the Thumbleweed! Where are you when a Sheridan at Ft. Bliss needs you??????????????

Vehicle update for the 1st AD Museum.

The M973A1 SUSV has adopted by a team of volunteers, has been cleaned up, painted, and moved inside the building.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board