what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 am
    ----
what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Saturday or Sunday? (not considering the weather, of course).

thanks

P-O

#2: Re: what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:54 am
    ----
I would go on both days Smile

I also would visit the Museum the days immediately before or after Tankfest. They move vehicles around, there are going to be empty slots inside the halls, with unique opportunities to take pictures.

Massimo

PS One day I'll go, but I have to first get a suited tele-photo lens Smile

#3: Re: what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 am
    ----
If you are planing to visit Bovington. Try to get a press access (you are author of Surviving Panzers Website) and please visit the storage areas.

Don't come back without photos of Light Tank Mk IV , Oxford Carrier and Cambridge Carrier Wink Smile

#4: Re: what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:15 am
    ----
- bialy-r
If you are planing to visit Bovington. Try to get a press access (you are author of Surviving Panzers Website) and please visit the storage areas.

Don't come back without photos of Light Tank Mk IV , Oxford Carrier and Cambridge Carrier Wink Smile

I don't think you will be able to visit the storage area during Tankfest, they are just too busy to allow that kind of access.

Taking pictures inside the storage hangars is also very difficult, little if any light and almost no space.
For example I was able to see the T18 Boarhound, but I failed to get any usable picture out of it. Even if I had a reflex with wide-angle lens and very powerful flash.

Massimo

#5: Re: what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 pm
    ----
- bialy-r

Don't come back without photos of Light Tank Mk IV , Oxford Carrier and Cambridge Carrier :wink: :)

I've just put up an old photo of the Mark IV (and a few others no longer on display), if you need it:

Bovington Tank Museum - Reserve Collection

#6: Re: what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 pm
    ----
BTW Rafal, I see Trevor confirms the Museum owns two M103. Just as I was told during my visit last year. Here is its data:
preservedtanks.com/Pro...queID=2045

Trevor, do you have any picture of it? It's one of the only two know M103 outside the USA. It would be nice to add its picture to the PDF

Massimo

#7: Re: what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:48 pm
    ----
I've got a photo of the Boarhound, taken 30+ years ago, when it was displayed outside.
I must find it, scan & post it here.

Bov's M103 here.
armouruk.net/m103.htm

#8: Re: what is the best day to go to Tankfest Bovington? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
BTW Rafal, I see Trevor confirms the Museum owns two M103. Just as I was told during my visit last year. Here is its data:
preservedtanks.com/Pro...queID=2045

No, the bad news is that the museum has just one M103, that one. The good news is that I can now say it categorically - in the 630 vehicle records there is exactly one that relates to an M103 that is on the museum books, or has ever been on the books.

I don't have a picture of it, but may be able to get hold of one.

-> AFV News Discussion Board