Reed Knights museum
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Reed Knights museum Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:05 pm
    ----
www.instmiltech.com/index.html

#2: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm
    ----
Very impressive collection.
I hope that some day Paul and Lorén will visit it and sheer with us their photos Smile

#3: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:19 pm
    ----
I'm glad that these vehicles are on display again !! The musuem seems to be very nice, with a lot of room to take nice pictures..

P-O

#4: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:18 am
    ----

www.instmiltech.com/up...8_orig.jpg
www.instmiltech.com/ha...armor.html

Is that a FT-17 or Six Ton Tanks M1917.

Was it part of ex - The World War II Vehicle Museum and Learning Center formerly located in Hubbard, Ohio like most of the vehicles from the collection ?

#5: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:57 pm
    ----
Damn! They've got an Ares Eagle twin 35mm SPAAG.
www.instmiltech.com/up...5_orig.jpg
Sandwiched between the M901 ITV and the HAWK SP launcher.

#6: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:02 pm
    ----
well, you both have better eyes than mine. I'll try to see the optician this week.. Mr. Green

P-O

#7: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:51 am
    ----
Is the museum open to the general public?
I checked out the website and saw nothing about hours - by appointment only maybe?

We'll put it on the to-do list - the collection looks like a must-see!

Cheers
P&L

#8: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:28 pm
    ----
I should be down there in the next couple weeks, will have more info at that point.

#9: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:04 pm
    ----
Looks like Mr Knight has collected some items that were not in the World War II Vehicle Museum and Learning Center collection.

These Stuarts appear to be "new" - can anyone help with variant ID? I'm a bit rusty...

The M36 is "new."

The M41 is "new"

As are the M47 and M48(?)

The M60s also appear to be "new"

#10: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:14 am
    ----
From what I see the Stuart nearest the camera is an M3A3, while the other two are both M5A1s, the second one with the turret side protective plate for the MG mount. The front hull corners and the engine decks are identifying features to differentiate between the M3A3 and the M5A1.
I hope this helps.

#11: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

Your guess about the M-48 is correct.

It is one of the earlier versions, T-48, M-48A0, or M-48A1 because of the flat engine deck. It is NOT a M-48A2 or A3.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#12: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:13 am
    ----
The cupola makes it an M48A1. The plain M48 and the T48 prototypes had the Chrysler mount with an exposed M2HB.

#13: Re: Reed Knights museum Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 am
    ----
I think the M-36 is the one that was in Hubbard. There was an M-36 there. Mr Venneta was very proud of the restoration he had done on it. He had it done including the stencils and the canvas covers. There was only one non authentic thing I found (Not that I am a rivet counter) The 90mm gun has small holes in the barrel (You can see them just by the front wheel of the M26) That shows the gun barrel came from a later vehicle and had a fume extractor on it originally. I think all the post WWII vehicles are from somewhere other than Hubbard. Mr Venneta was pretty much concentrated on WWII. He had some postwar variants of WWII vehicles (Like M7s) but no pure postwar vehicles that I remember seeing.

And I will take this chance to ask if anyone has a good recipe for crow. Mr. Green I doubted that the Hubbard collection would be available to the public after it went to Titusville, especially after the first word was the museum was supposed to open in 2009 and that date passed. I'm glad I it looks like I was wrong The collection appears to be well taken care of and on display . I hope to be able to get down there one of these days.

-> AFV News Discussion Board