Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: chrisballance PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:55 am
    ----
I found an old post on missing-lynx regarding 32 T-34-85's used by the Greek Cypriot National Guard during the 1974 war, and I was wondering how did these T-34's end up in Cyprus? Were they supplied by British, maybe captured Egyptian vehicles from Suez Crisis? Or did they come direct from Eastern Europe or an Arab state?

Regards, Chris.

Here is the old ML thread in question:

www.network54.com/Foru...ttila+1974

#2: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:14 am
    ----
My enemy's enemy is my friend. Or, money talks.

I did a professional development study on the UN intervention in Cyprus, so this is not unfamiliar ground. The Turks might have been Israel's ally, and the Israelis would have had ex-Egyptian foundlings for next to nothing. Yes, these two were friends until recently, but I don't remember my 1970's geopolitical map. I doubt the Soviets wanted to be anywhere near a spat between NATO client states - just too many ripples in the Med' so close to home. I'd think Arab countries first, then anyone else.

#3: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:57 am
    ----
One source mentions them as having been bought from Yugoslavia. However, the more likely scenario is that they were bought from Russia and delivered via Egypt.

#4: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: PatrikLocation: Czech republic PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 pm
    ----
Yes T-34/85 were purchased in Yugoslavia. And they were made in Czechoslovakia.

modelforum.cz/download...&mode=view

#5: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:22 pm
    ----
They were most definitely not made in Czechoslovakia, as they lack numerous features of Czech-built T-34s. Plus, the turret castings are too rough on most of them and at least one had the Kharkov turret with the split mushroom vents. Photographic evidence indicates that they were from various production batches from different factories.

#6: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm
    ----
I was on the Island twice and the only ones that I had seen were on the Turkish side and they were very rough cast type turrets, and they were used in overwatch dug in positions when I was there.

Anthony

#7: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: chrisballance PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm
    ----
Thanks Costas, Patrik and MLE,

I was able find a copy of Steve Zaloga's old T-34-85 Osprey booklet and in passing he states that the vehicles were supplied by Yugoslavia. Don't know how much that's worth, but I guess Yugoslavia would be a good source for T-34's built from a variety of plants.

If these vehicles were supplied by Tito did they have the same light green paint job as JNA T-34s?

#8: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:07 pm
    ----
No, as delivered they were in standard dark green.

#9: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: PatrikLocation: Czech republic PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:51 pm
    ----
The picture I added. Russian tanks have a war tower, but the hull is Czechoslovakia. Are refurbished tanks.

We discussed this in our forum.
modelforum.cz/viewtopi...start=2505
modelforum.cz/viewtopi...9#p1105279

#10: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:37 pm
    ----
I'm still not convinced. I've examined every single photo of CNG T-34 I have in my hard drive and not one of them shows any recognizable Czech features like the infantry signaling button or lights on the hull. Besides, don't view the purchase of the tanks by the CNG singularly, but as part of an arms package. At the same time they got BS-3 field guns, AT-S tractors BTR-152 APCs and other items. Besides, a recently published book on CNG armor does not mention anything about where the tanks were built.

Last edited by Costas_TT on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: chrisballance PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:10 pm
    ----
HI Costas,

Is this the book on CNG Armor you referenced?

www.doureios.com/Books...yprus.html

#12: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 pm
    ----
Yes. It's pretty comprehensive.

#13: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: chrisballance PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:59 pm
    ----
Thanks, I will try to order a copy of the book, its now listed at 12 Euros. I picked up a DML T-34-85 that I want to build while I finish painting another project. I will make a go at a CNG vehicle, now that I have some photos. I think you linked to a company that makes the Greek decals I need in a old post not too long back.

Regards,

Chris.

#14: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm
    ----
I did mention the company, but they don't make decals for T-34s - yet.
But if you need any clarifications on stuff from the book, I'll be happy to help.

#15: Re: Where did the Greek Cypriot T-34-85's come from? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:22 am
    ----
Are there, beside the two n Kyrenia, any in use as gateguard or in museums?

Regards,
Lesley

-> AFV News Discussion Board