Please specify the type and name of the vehicle
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:36 pm
    ----
Dear Sirs,
please specify the type and name of the vehicle. I found the photo on the Russian forum, without any explanation. I suppose the author of the photograph is colleague Dontos.

vif2ne.ru/nvk/forum/fi...tb_007.jpg

P. S.
I do not know why he does not want to see photos!

#2: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:43 pm
    ----
That is a photo I took several years ago of the M1A1 TTB, when it was in Richardson Motor Pool at Ft Knox.

It is based on the M1A1 but has a 3 man crew positioned in the hull and the turret is strictly the 120mm main gun feed by an autoloader.

It was an experimental test bed vehicle from the mid 90's that was literally left in the motor pool when the Army cancelled the program.

It is currently at Ft Benning

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 pm
    ----
BTW The photo view is standing on the back deck looking forward.

Here is a frontal view of the TTB:

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:07 pm
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

Is the TC and Gunner positions in the hull next to the driver?

Sgt, Scouts out!

#5: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:18 pm
    ----
On either side, in fact.

#6: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:01 pm
    ----
Dear Friends,
warm thanks to all.

#7: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:12 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

Sgt, Scouts out!

The Driver is in the center with the Gunner & Commander to the left and right (Not really sure which is where.)

There are three hatches in the hull for the crew.

Regards
Don

#8: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

Sgt, Scouts out!

The Driver is in the center with the Gunner & Commander to the left and right (Not really sure which is where.)

There are three hatches in the hull for the crew.

Regards
Don

Don,

Is this perhaps the vehicle for which the autoloader in Vagabond's Watervliet Arsenal thread was intended? I have my doubts about the prototype autoloader being considered for the M551 (as we know it) based on size and configuration. The gun in that thread appears to be a smoothbore (assuming it's even a real gun...the barrel walls are mighty thin). Then again, the original M1's had L7 105mm rifled guns so I'm perplexed. Might the autoloader pictured in that thread have been intended for either the MBT 70 or an early M concept vehicle?

www.com-central.net/in...mp;t=15030

#9: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:39 pm
    ----
The MBT 70 auto loader is flat and sorta square. We had one in RMP.

As for the autoloader on the TTB,.....I don't think it was removable, ie built into the hull of the vehicle below the turret.

The TTB is a 120mm. Interestingly, the gun/breech is inverted. When you look into the plexiglass on the center of the turret 'roof' the bottom of the breech could plainly be seen.

I took a bunch of photos of the TTB including interior shots, but it appears I lost them with one of my infamous computer crashes back in 2006/2007.

Regards
Don

#10: Re: Please specify the type and name of the vehicle Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:52 pm
    ----
As for any possible references to an autoloader on the M551,.....

Check 'Falkovich' on 'THE LITTLE RED BOX'...(!?) Cool

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board