Non AFV story - Spitfires galore!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:17 am
    ----
ok, I know it's not about afvs but if true this could be the 'barn find' of all time!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...s-17710598

And it's under the politics section!

Tim,

#2: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:32 am
    ----
Tim

Not a big 'wingie-thingie' fan, BUT that is too cool !!

Thanks for the link.
Regards
Don

#3: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:05 pm
    ----
Great story! Thanks Tim... Wink

#4: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:16 pm
    ----
A prop-head's "winkfest" lads!

I'm on my second box of tissues already.
Now we want all those crated Corsairs & Seafires, thrown overboard off Australia.

#5: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 pm
    ----
Thanks Tim!

Hope they do find them.

When I can not find any AFVs to look at, then I look for airplanes, then ships.

Sgt, Scouts out!

#6: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 pm
    ----
A much better update in today's Sunday Telegraph.
MkXIVs, buried in their crates, the comments are worth reading!
www.telegraph.co.uk/tr...Burma.html

"Amazing how the very same newspaper can run this well-informed story and at the same time print the pathetic tat from the front page, which merely confirmed the general impression that your average journalist has a surface facility with words but no other operative mental functions."

#7: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:38 am
    ----
It really stirs the imagination. I have similar dream, a dream I'd really like to make an ambition, to locate and salvage the Bulgarian pillbox Panthers. If nothing else I'd like to get resolve on the issue if they are still out there.

#8: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:58 am
    ----
In the late 70's as an imagination filled teenager living in Germany, I always dreamt of discovering a 'long-lost & forgotten' underground storage facility packed with tanks, left over from WWII.

This was fueled by an 'urban legend' in the Kaiserslautern area of an underground storage bunker in the area of one of the American housing areas that I happened to live in.

Alas reality crept in and dashed such hopes of finding the imaginary cache and riding in 'my' discovered & recovered Tiger II.

Sort of an 'Armor Archaeologist'. (!?)

Regards
Don

#9: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:41 pm
    ----
Nice story.

It does not has to be that big, I will do with a barn find WW2 German motorcycle or car .. Wink

#10: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:46 pm
    ----
- Dontos
In the late 70's as an imagination filled teenager living in Germany, I always dreamt of discovering a 'long-lost & forgotten' underground storage facility packed with tanks, left over from WWII.

This was fueled by an 'urban legend' in the Kaiserslautern area of an underground storage bunker in the area of one of the American housing areas that I happened to live in.

Alas reality crept in and dashed such hopes of finding the imaginary cache and riding in 'my' discovered & recovered Tiger II.

I've just been reading a book that talks about something similar under/near the old Panzerkaserne in Paderborn - apparently it was taken seriously enough for archeologists to be brought in to investigate, but nothing was found.

#11: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm
    ----
More wingy thingys in the news:

P-40 found in desert

#12: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:47 pm
    ----
- Dontos

Sort of an 'Armor Archaeologist'. (!?)

Regards
Don

Don't jerk us around, Don...everyone here knows you dream of finding an M50 runner chassis and six recoilless rifles. Laughing

#13: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:48 pm
    ----
It's getting dirty now!
www.telegraph.co.uk/hi...Burma.html

#14: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 pm
    ----
Gee, I bet nobody saw that coming. Wink

#15: Re: Non AFV story - Spitfires galore! Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 pm
    ----
Is this old news? WW2 fighter plane found in desert

-> AFV News Discussion Board