A glimpse in the Motor Pool (Ft Benning)
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: A glimpse in the Motor Pool (Ft Benning) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 am
    ----
The M22 does have a fabricated turret.

It was previously 'owned' by the Infantry Museum at Ft Benning. They transferred it and other AFV's over to the Armor Museum after they arrived at Ft Benning and began 'setting up shop'.

I hope to get more specific information on this vehicle in the future.

Regards
Don

#17: Re: A glimpse in the Motor Pool (Ft Benning) Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:30 pm
    ----
So, it's either a grafted-on M3A1 turret, or a copy of a M3A1 turret. Judging by the turret ring, lifting eye positions and side vision flaps, I'd say the latter.

#18: Re: A glimpse in the Motor Pool (Ft Benning) Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:02 am
    ----
Is thet the twister that used to be at TACOM?

#19: Re: A glimpse in the Motor Pool (Ft Benning) Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:17 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
LANDING VEHICLE, TRACKED, (ARMORED) MK4 or MK5, aka LVT(A) 4 OR 5. The 5 has power turret traversing and elevation stabilizer

More likely a 4, since the 5 had a prominent counterweight on the barrel shroud to balance the gyrostabilizer.

#20: Re: A glimpse in the Motor Pool (Ft Benning) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm
    ----
Walter Schwabe found this gallery, and I thought it was worth sharing :
http://www.fortbenningphotos.com/Fort-Benning-Past-Present/Armor-Museum/2013-Restoration/27788742_5NGt5c#!i=2362587093&k=Pw6QXzD

It seems that one of the M3 Stuart wrecks is being restored, at least to display condition. They apparently found a barrel for it.. the missing engine deck armor plates could be found on another of the M3 Stuart hulls stored at Fort Benning.

P-O

#21: Re: A glimpse in the Motor Pool (Ft Benning) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 am
    ----
The M3 was a range target 'somewhere' and came to Ft Knox many years ago.

I remember this tank well.

I'e been intouch with 'the guys' doing the work. Purely a preservation/cosmetic resto Tank will likely end up as a static display...

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board