Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:04 pm
    ----
The artillery collection here kind of surprised me. I knew there was artillery, but I wasn't prepared to the amount and variety.

This is an Hungarian gun, same design as German 3.7 cm Pak, using 40 mm Bofors ammo

4 cm M40 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#2: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:06 pm
    ----
Very rare german gun from WW II

5 cm Flak 41 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#3: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:47 pm
    ----
Massimo, this is a 40mm Bofors with an unusual (user fitted) shield. Specifically, this is a Hungarian Bofors. The 5cm Flak fed from the left side and was generally very different. I will post links to more pictures, with and without the shields, soon.

Last edited by Costas_TT on Fri May 18, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:50 pm
    ----
worldwartwozone.com/fo...an-forces/ (scroll down to find it)

www.flamesofwar.com/ho...art_id=300

ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=6473

www.ww2incolor.com/hun...+1942.html

And now for the juicy part:
www.ww2incolor.com/mod...5_002.html

www.ww2incolor.com/mod...2_003.html

www.ww2incolor.com/mod...1_005.html

www.ww2incolor.com/mod...12004.html

www.ww2incolor.com/mod...12002.html

#5: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:51 pm
    ----
Thanks for spotting this, I trusted the Museum blindly... I just looked around for the 5 cm Flak and I agree, it's a completely different beast!

Massimo

#6: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 pm
    ----
You are most welcome. It is a very interesting modification to the piece and I'd never seen it before. I arrived at the conclusion of its Hungarian origin by a process of deduction, assuming it was a captured weapon from WW-II and Hungary was the nearest country with a significant number of Bofors guns. A quick Google search just confirmed the hunch.

#7: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:20 am
    ----
There are other weapons of Hungarian origin over there too.

Massimo

#8: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:36 am
    ----

7.5 cm Gebirgsgeschutz 36 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#9: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:38 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
There are other weapons of Hungarian origin over there too.

Massimo

So I noticed. Wink

#10: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:47 pm
    ----
There is a great assortment of pack artillery. Here is a classic Skoda 75/13 from WW I:

7.5 cm Gebirgshaubitze M 15 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#11: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:48 pm
    ----
After WW I Skoda added a longer barrel. This version was also used by Yugoslavian Army:

7.5 cm Gebirgshaubitze M 28 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#12: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:28 am
    ----
We have been talking about the Skoda 100 mm howitzer and its evolution in the past. This is the original WW I design, used by the Austro-Hungarian Army. After WW I many were captured by the Italian Army and used up to WW II. Additional guns were manufactured in Italy too, named 100/17:

10 cm Feldhaubitze M 14 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#13: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:31 am
    ----
After WW I, Skoda kept the same basic design with a longer barrel. This gun served, among others, in Poland and Yugoslavia. Relevant numbers were captured by the Germans and turned to the Italian Army, where they served as 100/22:

10 cm 14/19 Skoda by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#14: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:33 am
    ----
It's worth noting that the 10 cm Skoda was available both as field and mountain howitzer. The mountain version can be splitted into three load and has smaller wheels (see the 14/19 above)

Massimo

#15: Re: Belgrade. Kalemegdan Fortress Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:46 am
    ----
The original 10 cm evolved even more, once again with a longer barrel:

105mm Skoda D9 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

At the end of 1930s Romanian Army ordered Skoda 10cm mountain howizers (factory designation 8, 100mm L/25, analog to field gun M1934). Because of German occupation, this order remained unfulfilled. As a compensation, Germans offered 105mm Skoda D9 howitzers (L/24) made for Afghanistan, from the captured Skoda stock; having not a better option (all Europe was artillery-hungry) Romanians accepted the deal; they became M1939 model.
The gun still spots Afghan markings.

Looking at this gun allowed me to finally identify another two pieces in Bucharest that are in front of the Museum over there and not too easily accessible:
www.flickr.com/photos/...4595717860

Massimo

-> Artillery Forum