Thun. Panzermuseum
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:28 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Since the thread is gaining traction. Here is the Mowag Pirat mentioned by Costas. It was evaluated by Swiss Army but in the end the M113 was adopted.
It was evaluated by Italian Army too but, once again, the M113 was acquired instead.
Hope the "pole" shot gives a better idea of the top layout

farm9.staticflickr.com...555c_c.jpg

The engine location must have made for a somewhat awkward troop compartment layout, in addition to limiting it to troop carrier and diminishing the possibility of it being used for other roles. The Tartaruga, by contrast, had a more sensible layout, obviously inherited from the Saurer Schutzenpanzer.
Incidentally, the same awkward layout seems to have been carried over to the Tornado 1.

The Pirat with a turret (turret ring plated over on the museum example):

EDIT: I just noticed something. The hull front and final drive housings of the museum example are just like those of the vehicle in the photo below, which I'd labeled "Tornado 1". The tracks and roadwheels though make it look more like a Pirat. The actual Tornado 1 had an identical layout, but with different, wider tracks.

I am therefore wondering... Could the Tornado 1 prototype have been a rebuilt Pirat? See photo below for comparison.

#47: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:33 am
    ----
Mowag 3M1 in Full:

Mowag 3M1 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#48: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:34 am
    ----
In Full this one is labeled as "Pirat 14":

Mowag Spz Pirat 14 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#49: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:35 am
    ----
Another one from Full:

Mowag Tornado 1975 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#50: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:37 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Mowag 3M1 in Full:

Mowag 3M1 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

It has the wide track with the two rubber pads per link, plus the troop compartment machine gun mount and the cannon with the conical flash suppressor, which would make this the vehicle marketed by MOWAG as the Tornado 1.
Thanks for the pics!

#51: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 am
    ----
In Full it's labeled as 3M1.

They also have another Tornado, in what should be its 1979 configuration:

Mowag Tornado 1979 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#52: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 am
    ----
Finally, there is also the Trojan. A very nice-looking vehicle:

Mowag Trojan by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Let me know if you need more pictures. I have a few, including at least some "pole" shots.
On top of that Win D. is coming to Full in late July and I plan to join him over there. So, I accept special requests too

Massimo

#53: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 am
    ----
I only have one request: The 35mm gun turret on the Piranha 10x10. Some top shots would be more than welcome. Thanks!

#54: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:56 am
    ----
A few years ago, I'd found this gallery about the museum in Full. It may be worth checking it out to complement Massimo's amazing photos.

#55: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 am
    ----
- Costas_TT
I only have one request: The 35mm gun turret on the Piranha 10x10. Some top shots would be more than welcome. Thanks!

I am in the office right now. I'll look into my archive because I feel I have one. Worst case, I'll take it on next visit.

Massimo

#56: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:01 am
    ----
P-O has a gallery here too:
good-times.webshots.co...8911YMAqHY

Both of these galleries dates to a few years ago, before the Museum expanded. Now the whole ground floor in the first hangar is dedicated to Mowag, with vehicles that weren't visible before.

Massimo

#57: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- Costas_TT

I am in the office right now. I'll look into my archive because I feel I have one. Worst case, I'll take it on next visit.

Massimo

There's no rush.
BTW, I found the webshots album yesterday, when I was looking for Tornado 1 pics to compare them to the Pirat. it's good, but as you wrote, the expanded museum should afford better photo opportunities.

#58: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:34 pm
    ----
- Costas_TT

I just realized I have little if any "pole" shots covering the Mowag vehicles! I added this to my to-do list for next visits.
But you are lucky, since before I've got into the "pole fever" I took a few pictures from above using a tele-photo lens. I think this should fit your needs.

No need to say that any additional info about the vehicle or its turret is more than welcome

Massimo

#59: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:42 pm
    ----
F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!!
Thank you!

#60: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:28 pm
    ----
Just run into a nice gallery from the Full museum.

Part 1

Part 2

-> AFV News Discussion Board