Thun. Panzermuseum
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:17 am
    ----
Did any tracked Saurer vehicle ever entered service with Austrian Army?

Yes, the 4K3FA and the 4K4FA, in many variants, too: APC, mortar carrier, ambulance, signals, command and let's not forget the SK-105 and the Greif ARV. They were built by Steyr, but they were of Saurer design.
And the Oerlikon 80mm rocket launcher turret has been applied mostly experimentally to a variety of vehicles: Tornado, Saurer, Piranha, Grenadier, VXB, HS-30, and the list goes on. The US Navy even trialed it on a Nasty PTF in Vietnam.

#32: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 am
    ----
- Costas_TT
Yes, the 4K3FA and the 4K4FA, in many variants, too: APC, mortar carrier, ambulance, signals, command and let's not forget the SK-105 and the Greif ARV. They were built by Steyr, but they were of Saurer design.

I see now, I assumed they were from Steyr, never realized before they were designed by Saurer. Thanks!

Massimo

#33: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:36 am
    ----
Ex-Canadian Centurion with pretty cool camo:

Centurion Mk III by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#34: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:37 am
    ----
Fliegerabwehrpanzer 68 M-0888

Two prototypes built, mounting a Gepard's turret over a Pz 68 chassis. It never entered in active service. This is the only survivor

Fliegerabwehrpanzer 68 M-0888 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#35: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 am
    ----

M31 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#36: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 am
    ----

M7 Priest by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#37: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:40 am
    ----

M4A4 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#38: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:12 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Ex-Canadian Centurion with pretty cool camo:

Centurion Mk III by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

... Massimo, are you sure this is an ex-Canadian tank? However, if it is, it didn't serve in the Swiss Army. According to my source all South African and Canadian Centurions were either sold outside Switzerland or scrapped.

Greetings
Chris

#39: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:43 pm
    ----
- zemsi
... Massimo, are you sure this is an ex-Canadian tank? However, if it is, it didn't serve in the Swiss Army. According to my source all South African and Canadian Centurions were either sold outside Switzerland or scrapped.

The Museum's info plate says it's one of the 20 ex-canadian Centurions that were acquired in 1978 for spare parts.
That's all the info I have.

Massimo

#40: Re: Canadian Centurions Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:02 pm
    ----
... hmm, there were 12 Canadian Centurions (Mark 7, with reinforced front plate), starting number (most likely) M+78900.

In the official tank museum brochure is written (page 63), that as you said, 20 were bought in 1978 for spare parts. 4 turrets were salvaged for the shooting simulator ELSAP.

I didn't know some were bought for spare parts too. I'll ask my friend.

Greetings
Chris

#41: Re: Canadian Centurions Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm
    ----
... according to "Die Panzer der Schweizer Armee 1920 - 2008" twelve Canadian Centurions Mark 12 were bought in 1971. Numbers M+78900 to 11.

If any Swiss Panzer-Aficionado wants a copy of that book (German only, loads of pics and technical data), let me know. I know the book writer/publisher.

Greetings
Chris

#42: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 pm
    ----
The Centurion mk.3 had registration 6-4512 which looks like a Canadian registration.

Regards
Lesley

#43: Re: Canadian Centurions Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 pm
    ----
- zemsi
If any Swiss Panzer-Aficionado wants a copy of that book (German only, loads of pics and technical data), let me know. I know the book writer/publisher.

I, for one, would certainly appreciate a copy. Even though I speak no German, I can understand a lot of the terminology. But in order not to hijack the thread, I suggest we continue the discussion via private messages.
Costas.

#44: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 pm
    ----
Since the thread is gaining traction. Here is the Mowag Pirat mentioned by Costas. It was evaluated by Swiss Army but in the end the M113 was adopted.
It was evaluated by Italian Army too but, once again, the M113 was acquired instead.
Hope the "pole" shot gives a better idea of the top layout

Mowag 3M1 Pirat 18 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#45: Re: Thun. Panzermuseum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:21 pm
    ----
A Swiss Centurion. With Alps as background

Centurion M-78749 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

-> AFV News Discussion Board