Another One Bites The Bus...
-> Officer's Club

#1: Another One Bites The Bus... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:48 am
    ----
Cargo plane hits bus in Ghana airport crash

A cargo plane has crash landed in Ghana's capital Accra, hitting a bus full of passengers, officials say.

Ten passengers on board the bus were reported to have been killed while all four crew members survived.

Local TV showed the heavily damaged Boeing 727 Allied Air plane lying across a road close to Kotoka International Airport.

Ghana's airport operator said the plane, which had flown from Lagos, Nigeria, overshot the runway.

It said in a statement that the four crew members were receiving treatment at an airport clinic.

"The aircraft collided with a minivan, resulting in 10 confirmed fatalities," the statement added.

Police and troops cordoned off the scene following the incident just after 19:00 GMT on Saturday.

Ghana's Vice President John Dramani Mahama told reporters at the airport that a thorough investigation would be carried out.

"No early conclusions should be drawn. We should allow investigations to arrive at the actual cause. But I can assure Ghanaians that the situation is under control," he said.

Ghana Airport Company said flights were continuing as normal at the airport.

Kofi Kportufe, head of Ghana's national disaster management agency, praised the emergency services for their quick response, which he said had "averted further disaster".

"This is a sad day for Ghana," he said.

The BBC's West Africa correspondent John James says Ghana's air safety record has been good in recent years.

#2: Re: Another One Bites The Bus... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:48 pm
    ----
That flight originated in Lagos, Nigeria. There was another crash in Lagos today killing all aboard and presumably some on the ground in the "residential area" in which it crashed.

Lagos has a well-established reputation as probably the most dangerous airport in the world, both for passengers still on the ground and those aboard aircraft.

#3: Re: Another One Bites The Bus... Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:11 pm
    ----
And I fly in and out of Accra once a month, but not on any Nigerian airlines. The runway in Accra follows the top of a ridge. You think you are still flying once you have landed.

#4: Re: Another One Bites The Bus... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:13 pm
    ----
then once you are in Nigeria their are those pesky marauders in river boats with automatics looking for an oil rig or two to attack...

when I get job offers for Nigeria I just laugh and say politely, no thank you.

#5: Re: Another One Bites The Bus... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:13 pm
    ----
- Tanklord
You think you are still flying once you have landed.

Ahhh...the perils of free drinks in the first class cabin.

-> Officer's Club