Ft Benning New Arrivals
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:31 am
    ----
I've just learned that the Armor & Cavalry Museum is now the proud 'owners' of a Panzer II & Marder III.

These were two of APG's former collection pieces that were loaned out to Germany (?)

They recently arrived in the US from England and were shipped to Ft Benning.

More info & photos when I get an update...

Regards
Don

#2: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:36 am
    ----
They'll be the ones formally at Munster & Sinsheim, that were being restored by Wheatcroft.

#3: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:48 am
    ----
glad to hear that they are back to the USA. Hope that the Tiger will follow soon. And I can't wait to have recent photos of these vehicles.

P-O

#4: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:13 pm
    ----
A slight correction....

Panzer II & Marder II

The Panzer II is supposedly fairly complete. The Marder II is not....... Photos have been posted on facebook, but I'm waiting till I get direct photos sent to me to post them here.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:24 pm
    ----
Update:

SN for the Panzer II seems to be 28284 stamped on the front deck.

I'll post images later today....

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:55 pm
    ----
I should have more soon...

Enjoy
Regards
Don

#7: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:27 pm
    ----
thanks for the photos.

P-O

#8: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:54 pm
    ----
There is a photo of the II in US service in Tunisia-I'll see if I can a link for it.

#9: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:59 pm
    ----
www.lonesentry.com/man...age_4.html
Dan

#10: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:14 pm
    ----
Nice picture. Thanks

#11: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:51 pm
    ----
There seems to be some developing doubt that the Panzer II is the same as the Tunisia. vehicle.

The earliest APG photos match to the vehicle recently arriving at Ft Benning, but some definite differences as the Tunisia Panzer II.

More info to follow, as it develops.
Regards
Don

#12: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:19 pm
    ----
- panamadan
There is a photo of the II in US service in Tunisia-I'll see if I can a link for it.

Two more pics (of another captured Pz II):

Last edited by Costas_TT on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

#13: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:27 pm
    ----
these look to be the same vehicle-before and after adding the guns.
notice the tow cable on the front of the hull and both lack the spare wheel.
Dan

#14: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:55 pm
    ----
This is what I have on it, with some photos as it used to be:

preservedtanks.com/Pro...niqueID=90

#15: Re: Ft Benning New Arrivals Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:50 pm
    ----
that seems to be different tank than the tanks above carrying US soldiers-notice the jerry can rack
on the right fender. It does seem to be the same tank with the Pennant on it's right fender.
Dan

-> AFV News Discussion Board