Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:37 pm
    ----
I wish I could give a first hand account of the Armed Forces Day Live Fire, but I only found out about it a week after the event. The last time they had an actual live fire at the main front was 1991. They took the bleacher stands down shortly after citing safety concerns.
I did manage to get some of the late 1980s shows on video, but not best quality.
The best place to see photos of this years show are on flickr site under the Aberdeen photo stream, very good photos there. M1A2 MBT, Stryker with 105mm gun, M2A3 Bradley and other items.
From what I'd read on the event, 1500 tickets were given (free) at the PAO office at Aberdeen. The tickets were gone within an hour. I will try to get into next years Live fire event.
If any members of this site were there, how about a few photos and a brief article on the day!
I did go to the 2009 show, but it was all static displays. I managed to take some photos of Super DUKW, MRAPs, Stryker with 105mm gun, and other items that year, but no live fire show was held.
Rick

#2: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:19 pm
    ----

#3: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:29 pm
    ----
more 2009 photos

#4: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:20 pm
    ----
Wow! I had no idea they would ever do this again! Wish I had known!

Will definitely look for this next year...

www.flickr.com/photos/usagapg

Neil

#5: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:41 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

A LIVE FIRE! I thought the Army could not afford to do those anymore.

Sgt, Scouts out!

#6: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 pm
    ----
FYI APG PAO says no live fire demo this year... Due to the S-word... Sad

#7: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

A LIVE FIRE! I thought the Army could not afford to do those anymore.

Sgt, Scouts out!

Me either. Ft. Knox used to do nice firepower demonstrations for the senior class of the USMA (as I imagine other branches did) in an effort to persuade cadets to branch the solicited specialty. I recall one in the early '70's involving an M72 LAW that went as badly as one can imagine. Serious reality and gut check for the cadets in the grandstands.

Slinging live ordnance around is inherently dangerous, as recent training events have revealed. Public reaction has a chilling effect even on the inevitable (and necessary) activities.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 pm
    ----
Neil,
Did the PAO mention if at least they'll have a display? At least static vehicles are better than nothing! Let me know if anything will be shown, as I'm taking a vacation in mid-May. Thanks, Rick

#9: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 pm
    ----
Sorry Rick,
I didnt ask.

Neil

#10: Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground Armed Forces Day Show. Live Fire Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:09 pm
    ----
Hi All,
I called Aberdeen PAO today, they will have vehicles on display next Wed. May 15, 2013. I called during my lunchbreak today, so I didn't ask about what all they plan to show. I will be there and photograph whatever they set out. I'm also planning to visit the Museum grounds to see what is left. The museum itself has yet to open, and according to PAO no date has been set yet. More details later. Rick

-> AFV News Discussion Board