Decided to get back into Dirt Biking.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:15 am
    ----
Used to dirt bike ride as a teen. Had a 1979 Honda XL250. Was never a balls out MotoCross kinda guy, more a trail riding, hill climbing go wherever the dirt road takes you. Around 18 years of age I stopped riding and sold the 250 but over the years I've thought about it and especially where I live, how much fun I could have again.

Rememberd my Uncle had a dirt bike (street legal which is a must for me) which he can longer ride due to poor health so I called him and he said he'd sell it. Went by after work today. He offered it for $300 and I took it

It's been sitting and is gonna need some work but I think it will make a nice little project for me since I like to tinker and wrench and for the price seemed like a good deal, not to mention he gets something for it and knows it's going to a good home.

It's a 1984 Yamaha XT600. It was about a year and half old when he bought it of the original owner who was a Yamaha Mechanic Who bored it out to 640 I believe. Here's a pic I found of what it would look like in it's better days...it doesn't look like that now but with a little TLC she'll ride again. Cool
should be picking it up this Sunday and will update.

Last edited by JG300-fr8ycat on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Decided to get back into to Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:31 am
    ----
What...no motox double back flips? You're young yet....

OTOH, notice how nicely the colors compliment the JG300 banner!

I've never been big on off-road on two wheels, but can sure see how it's fun (a few impaired outings on mini-bikes in the '70's were enough to convince me there are better ways to break a bone)l If I'm going to throw dirt, I'm going to use a least four wheels to do it...and a roll bar over me 'ead. Wink

#3: Re: Decided to get back into to Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm
    ----
Nice project Fr8tycat,thats a real thumper to be sure and bored out to boot!Bet if you get that carbed just right that you could climb about any hill you wanted,bet that it's nice and quite too.I was into mx as a kid(cr 125) only raced with my friends but had a ton of fun with it.I just finished restoring a 1978 XL 100 for my boys and had a horrible time getting all the parts I needed.Please keep us posted on your progress and parts decisions and of course riding impressions,I imagine that on some tight single track that the throttle is going to be used with considerable caution.

#4: Re: Decided to get back into to Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:28 am
    ----
Way to go dude! The dirtbike riding you did was the same as I did as a teenager. There's nothing like being out in the middle of the desert and just going wherever the sagebrush leads you. Real freedom. Enduros are a great choice no matter how ya cut it!

Here's hoping things aren't too gunked up in the fuel supply and carbs. Hopefully a fresh set of shoes and new chain, plus a little TLC and she'll be good to go. Might be past the point where a little Seafoam in the tank to clean things out will do much good, but you never know!

Would very much enjoy seeing progress reports as you get that sweetheart ready for riding again. And there should be lots of great fire roads and such to get your skills back together... and I'll see you over at advrider.com where some of us wannabe offroad riders hang out, and they'll have some good tips for you no doubt. Wink

#5: Re: Decided to get back into to Dirt Biking. Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:00 pm
    ----
I have decided to start riding again. I even found a club to join. Here are their colors:

#6: Re: Decided to get back into to Dirt Biking. Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:49 pm
    ----
-S-

I know how you feel...my first bike, when I was 18, was a Kawi 250 on/off road.

man, I loved that bike...!!!

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#7: Re: Decided to get back into to Dirt Biking. Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:37 pm
    ----
good for you! I agree, you wont go wrong with that bike, it will be fun asphalt or in the dirt... boy the old days.

I used to have a "Yankee 500" what a hog of an enduro, weighed 300 lbs LOL....

Once I stripped the kick start shaft in the middle of the "pig farm", a sand dunes area next to a pig farmer and I had to push that pig up down a few dunes... and no my buds wold only laff, no help... gits... but alas, but I was young...

#8: Re: Decided to get back into to Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:17 am
    ----
OK, picked it up today and have all the facts, which could get interesting. It's a TT600 bored out to 630 with a Barnett clutch, 8085 on the odometer. It had the headlight and tail light with a license plate when my uncle bought it. The blinkers he added from his old Yamaha 500. By adding a headlight and tail light it makes it street legal? Don't have any knowledge on this and might have to dig deeper.

On a good note the gas tank is empty. Just a little down in the nook where the fuel valve is. The fuel lines are hard as a rock. The front tire is new, or was new Laughing and looks to be in good condition, the blue stripe is still visible at the base of the tread. The rear tire holds air but has severe cracking all the way around both sides by the rim. Both rims are fine. The chain is operable but shows light rusting on the outsides of the links. 1 bent clutch handle and 1 broken front break handle and the grips are a little ratty but these are easy fixes. Both the front disk and rear drum brakes appear to work fine. The original muffler was replaced with a straight chrome pipe which wont fly here in the Angeles National Forest. The front forks and rear shock appear to be in good order.

Will start with cleaning out the fuel tank, replacing the fuel, oil and air filter along with the oil and give her a kick and see what gives. Another plus is I still have my old Shoei Helmet. Was worried if it would still fit and tried it on. Actually seems a little loose and realized It's probably because I don't have the full head of thick hair I used too.

Was thinking maybe it was the horn addition that makes it street legal. Mr. Green

#9: Re: Decided to get back into to Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:41 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat

Was thinking maybe it was the horn addition that makes it street legal. Mr. Green

Well you know what they say - if the brakes don't work make sure the horn does!

That's gonna be a cool bike once you get it going. I was wondering about the exhaust since I think that is from pre-spark-arrestor days?

Hopefully the wife will be very understanding that the base price for the bike is gonna be half (or less) of the full price of getting her running, depending....here's hoping she fires up with a minimum of kicking!

#10: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:48 am
    ----
OK, well for kicks I tried starting it and it was absolutely dead, nothing. So I pulled the fuel line and noticed it was dry, no fuel. Pulled off the tank and removed the petcock and noticed a purple goop around the base. tried blowing in the fuel line and after some hesitation a purple ooze came out of the tube...not good. also after getting the tank off noticed a crack on the upper left hand side which wasn't there before. Must have happened when pulling the tank off, weathered hard plastic, etc.

So, tanks for this thing don't exist, couldn't even find a used one but did find one on ebay, they make OEM when you order them. Will get that and a new petcock and try again. Have a feeling if the petcock is that bad off the carbs are probably the same. Will take the easy way and wait for the new tank and petcock and give her another try. If still nothing then I'll tackle the carbs. In the meantime since I have the tank and seat off I'll use the opportunity to give her a thorough cleaning.

#11: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 am
    ----
These guys look reasonable (compared to some others I saw):

store01.prostores.com/...Gas/Detail

I don't know if they are compatible, but I've never had anything but good experiences with Pingel petcocks, though they ain't cheap. Anything that turns the gas on and off needs to be a quality, reliable part, and I've had experience with the "other kind".

#12: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout

I don't know if they are compatible, but I've never had anything but good experiences with Pingel petcocks, though they ain't cheap. Anything that turns the gas on and off needs to be a quality, reliable part, and I've had experience with the "other kind".

Yep, they are the ones I ordered from. Didnt get the oversized one though. Figured the stock size was good enough.

#13: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:06 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
- JG300-Ascout

Yep, they are the ones I ordered from. Didnt get the oversized one though. Figured the stock size was good enough.

You don't need a hi-flow petcock on a bike of that weight/displacement/power anyway.

In a foolish effort to save a few bucks back in the '90's on my hot rod 1,204 cc Sportster, I bought another brand other than Pingel and it leaked like a sieve from new. I don't mean my install at the tank, I mean through the valve, causing an overlow in the carb float bowl that vented out the little hole that is there just for that purpose. This resulted in gas flowing out onto the engine (and I parked in my garage, which was the lowest level of a three story house, the one you visited, as a matter of fact)...in an area shared by the furnace with it's pilot light. Doesn't take a lot of imagination to picture the worst case scenario some night in your sleep (it passed gas even when cold). I called the manufacturer who sent me a replacement, but told me it was common for them to do that until "broken in"! Rolling Eyes The replacement unit had the same fault, so off to the supplier it went with a direct note to the effect that I'd be putting my house and life back in the hands of Pingel. Never had another problem...they aren't the leaders in the field for nothing!

#14: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:37 am
    ----
Update:

So a bunch of parts I ordered last week came in. Ended up getting the tank for $110 by ordering direct (was a dent scratch item) and the scratch is so minor you can't see it unless your viewing at an angle, saved me about $80 bucks. New petcock, went with stock for $16 bucks. Checked out Ascout's suggestion but they didn't have one for my bike. Went with the stock airfilter and cage. Had a K&N filter but with the stock airbox it just doesn't fit well and it appears UNI is the way go and works with the stock setup. Oil filter and some gaskets the total is now $590. It's gonna go higher since discovering some new stuff that needs replacing but that's ok...it's all about the adventure.

So for kicks I changed the oil, oil filter (bottom screw for the oil filter cover is stripped), installed the new petcock to the new tank with some new gas and starting kicking...and kicking...and kicking. Could hear her wanting to start which kept me going. After about an hour, 2 beers and a couple of smokes SHE FIRED UP!!!!!!!! This was Saturday, my legs, knees and back are still hurting Crying or Very sad . Wouldn't idle (kept throttling to keep it going) and wouldn't start even after being warmed up without the choke on. So Monday I pulled the carbs off and have them apart and ready to clean. they don't look bad so will be an easy clean but noticed the jet sizes don't seem right for the mods this thing has.

Will give the details on the jets tomorrow but mainly happy this beast will run. Mr. Green

#15: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:01 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
Update:

Could hear her wanting to start which kept me going. After about an hour, 2 beers and a couple of smokes SHE FIRED UP!!!!!!!!

Will give the details on the jets tomorrow but mainly happy this beast will run. Mr. Green

While we're moving into DADT territory here, I'm sure we're all relieved to hear of the happy ending and that's all that counts anyway. Wink

Just honor the timeless classics and drink, snort or smoke whatever makes the god of ignition bless your endeavor with an honest lightoff that you can sustain. It's the way of nature, Man!

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum