Decided to get back into Dirt Biking.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#31: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:53 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
You're out having too much fun in the open desert with that thing...yeah, that's it....

See what happens when you let your imaginations run wild Laughing

Yesterday I rode it over to a friends house in Lancaster which was a 50/50 ride of road and dirt. Seemed to run fine and was the first time i've been on dirt since I was 18 so I took it easy and didn't go to crazy. That section is a straight and fairly level dirt road and was my first time on it. Was doing about 40mph when I came up on a wash out over the road about 3ft across and 2 feet deep. By the time I saw it, it was too late to do much but chop the throttle and stand up (had visions of end-o-ing once my front tire hit the bottom), went right through it, smooth as silk! The suspension on this thing is awesome! Once I got to my friends house we measured the highest dust line on the front forks and it was 9 1/2 inches Laughing , defintely has some travel.

He got his Honda CRF250 going and we went back out into the desert towards the hills. After a while I got a lot more comfortable on it and with it's power. Almost went down a couple of times but was able to keep it upright which isn't easy, it is a big heavy bike! We climbed a couple of small hills that weren't too steep with no problems and then came up to a monster that was probably about 200 feet high and VERY STEEP Shocked
We stopped in front of it and my bud, knowing I was getting my chops back, said he was gonna climb it and I didn't have to follow him, I could take the trail around and meet him on the other side...I was in agreement and figured I could conquer that one another time. He took off and then I thought wait a minute, I can't let that puny Honda 250 show up my 600. He went out and came around to give himself a good run at it, I was still where we stopped about 40ft from the base. Figured it was time to put everything I've read about this beast (power, torque, etc.) to the test. Took off from where I was at and by the time I started to climb I was in 2nd and then hit 3rd and kept it there. About halfway up it seemed like the RPM's were going down a bit (still getting used to the sounds of a big 4 stroke) but didn't want to downshift and screw up my momentum so I just gave it more throttle and guess that second carb kicked in and it was no problem As I came up over the top my friend looked back surprised I did it Laughing The whole adventure round trip ended up being 46 miles.

In the end it was an awesome time and although I Know I'm gonna have to tweak the carb for altitude, It ran good and never let me down. The next morning I went down to the garage and my front tire was flat Crying or Very sad So at this point I have it up on the stand with the front wheel off ready to replace and think it would probably be a good idea to have them put in new bearings while they have it. Went ahead and checked the valve adjustment, tightened up the exhaust and opened up the intake to specs. Since I had it at TDC for the valve adjustment I went ahead and adjusted the Decompression cable to spec.

Currently I have the following on order:
Front tire, throttle tube, grips, side view mirror (the big chrome monster is off a 78' XT500), front and rear sprockets (currently 16/46 - stock is 14/50), side covers, front fender (current one off of the same 78' XT500) And OEM tank, side cover and swing arm decals.

Currently $1823 In.

With all the stuff currently on order, at least it will look good.

#32: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:49 pm
    ----
OK, that first sentence or two had me thinking this was not going to end well...

Don't DO that!

Does this thing have inverted front forks, or are you running it without fork boots for the time being?

Don't overdo it when you put leaner jets in it. Keep an eye on your exhaust pipe for color. A holed piston will slow you right down....a little bit of rich also keeps the engine cooler. Wink

#33: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 am
    ----
It didn't come with boots. Thought about getting a pair but for now not that important.

Ya, will be easy with the jetting down. Before anything I need to take the carbs back off and re-check the clip position on the jet needles, missed this when rebuilding. The other problem is jets for this (other than the stock size) are pretty hard to find or don't exist. I think I've found a place that offers the main jet in other sizes but the secondary and pilot jets, I've had no luck. On the site with the main jets they just say "rumor has it" that a couple of other company's pilot jets "Might work".

I guess my main concern with the jetting comes from my last trip down the hill. Once I got to my friends house it seemed to be running fine but as soon as I got in his driveway I cut it so I didn't really see how it was idling. Once we got out in the open desert, the first 2 or 3 times we stopped I noticed the idle was reving and I'd have to turn out the idle screw. After the third or fourth time of doing this it seemed to idle where it should. Then on the way home back up the hill (about 1200ft elevation difference) it seemed like it was bogging.

I've been reading a lot about jetting and unfortunately you get conflicting info. Another problem I just discovered is the primary vent tube was pinched and has been that way since putting the carbs back on. That has been corrected so I'll see how it does once I get the front tire replaced and take it from there but it will be no more than one jet size or clip movement on the jet needles and I'll keep an eye on the plug color. I also realize this is a California bike which means the jetting might have originally been a little on the lean side for California emissions.

#34: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 am
    ----
Stoopy,

yes I did use tire spoons for the rear tire change but they are the shortys. Thought they would be good for fitting in my tool bag on the rear fender but they dont offer much leverage. The change fee I was charged ended up being $12 bucks Laughing Wish I would have just let them do it. From here on out I'll let them do it unless I'm stuck out in the wilderness...then I don't have a choice.

If you gotta do it yourself, the long spoons are the way to go and use 3... it makes it easier.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0B2gIwbBg

#35: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:34 pm
    ----
Dude...this has become a righteously triumphant story with you tackling that hill in front of your buddy. Just to think back to the first post where you'd more or less inherited a non-running family heirloom, and what you have now. I wish you many many hours and miles of fun on that honey.

If you read any of the more common magazines like Cycle World (or is it Motor Cyclist?) there's an author named Joe Gresh that has a fantastic sense of humor and writing style, and he writes fondly of a large Yamaha 2-stroke bike that he's ridden across the Trans America Highway (mostly dirt) and never runs smoothly. I'll have to find some of his articles for you.

Thanks for the tip on the spoons and I may just order them.

In the meantime, please to keep us updated on the adventures of your wonderful machine (and thanks for setting our minds at rest)

#36: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:51 am
    ----
"there's an author named Joe Gresh that has a fantastic sense of humor"
I'll look him up. Love to read stories, especially when it involves some humor.

The parts (or more parts) have been slowly trickling in over the last week.

Got the new throttle tube , grips, side view mirror and front fender installed. Also have the side covers which I trial fitted and they fit and look great. Have the decals which I'll wait until I get it all back together and cleaned before applying. New front tire and tube, there was a 1 inch thorn that went right through the base of the tire and was sticking out about a quarter of an inch inside the tire.

Got the stock front and rear sprockets today and just waiting on the Jets which I was able to find Genuine Yamaha jets. Also after reading up some more and re-checking the jet sizes after tearing down the carbs again I discovered that the Pilot jet is currently a 48, stock is supposed to be 46. Found one and gonna go with it. Was also able to find and order a 130 main and secondary jet, stock is 135. That will drop it 2 sizes but with the elevation I'll be riding this thing, it should be good and is halfway between the 125 of the XT600 (street legal) AND 135 OF MY tt600. It had a 125 in it and the old plug looked good so guess we'll see. I also got some Mobile1 4 stroke synthetic 20w-50w. Change out the current 10w-40w and see if that helps with some of the noises I'm thinking I'm hearing.

Anyways the next pic I post will be of a completely different machine that was posted in the first pic...and hopefully one that I can ride awhile before it gets too cold, and I find the need to do more tweaking Wink
It is cool how far it's come since first getting it. Probably won't be til' the end of the month before I get it all knocked out.

Last edited by JG300-fr8ycat on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

#37: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:09 am
    ----
I love happy stories of salvaged and restored mo'cycles!

Good on ya', Richard!

#38: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:45 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
I also got some Mobile1 4 strock synthetic 20w-50w. Change out the current 10w-40w and see if that helps with some of the noises I'm thinking I'm hearing.

And you've made sure there are no friction modifiers in that oil so your clutch won't get ruined by it, I am sure. BTW I've had great results with Shell Rotella-T 15w-40, it's dino oil although they have a synthetic version as well, but the dino version seems to quiet extra noises such as a lifter tick in my Honda Sabre that they were known to have, and some but not all of the sewing-machine noises of my Suzuki V-twin. Good reputation on that stuff.

Most excellent, updated pictures as soon as you can please!

#39: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

And you've made sure there are no friction modifiers in that oil so your clutch won't get ruined by it, I am sure.

Yep, checked all that after reading a lengthy debate over on Thumpertalk about Dinos and synthetics. It's actually Mobile1 V-Twin 4 stroke Synthetic. Supposedly specially made for air cooled engines but probably just ad hype. Either way figured I'd give it shot and unless it does wonders, might be the last time...it's not cheap. Have read about quite a few guys running the Rotella so I'll keep it in mind.

AND NOW THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT"S DONE! Well, almost. These pics were taken before getting the chain back on which is now done. Will get into a more lengthy analysis after it's ride tomorrow after work but one thing I can say is what a difference in the idle. Purs like a kitten. The major miss it was having is gone and after getting her dialed in the idle is a lot smoother with the new pilot jet and air screw installed.

Last edited by JG300-fr8ycat on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#40: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 pm
    ----
WOW

Dude that thing is Puuuuuurrrrrrrty!!!!!!!!!

What a great success story. I wish you many many many happy hours riding that beauty!

#41: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 am
    ----
Not quite the same thing, but this is a Yamaha 500 TT at the Dresden Auto Museum in the Dresdner Markthalle (Tranants and East German Motorcycles, mostly)...

webgerman.com/Dresden/...get30.html

Info plaque...

webgerman.com/Dresden/...get29.html

#42: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:01 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Not quite the same thing, but this is a Yamaha 500 TT at the Dresden Auto Museum in the Dresdner Markthalle (Tranants and East German Motorcycles, mostly)...

That thing is wild looking. Twisted Evil

So with the 1 size down Pilot Jet(46 which is stock, had a 48 in it) and new fuel screw I was able to get the idle perfect which also eliminated same of the noise I was hearing, some of which was probably the "Miss" it was having which is now gone. Also noticed it is running cooler.

On the Main Jet (stock is 135) I started with 130 and drove it around the neighborhood. Could tell it was struggling and was too lean so put the 132 in it and drove to the local General store (approx 5 miles) for gas. Rides a lot better and was clean through all gears, throttle and speeds. Also noticed under load at speeds around 55 I'm not hearing all the racket I was on my previous ride up the hill from my buddys house but I also was on level ground so the ultimate test will be riding down to his house, going out in the desert and climbing a few hills then coming back home. Will check the plug and might even go back to the 135. Maybe it was just the oversized Pilot Jet and a bent fuel mixture screw that were causing the prior issues?

On another note, I've never had a motorcycle license and decided to get one since this thing is street legal. Checked into it online and not sure how it works in other states but in California if you're going to add any endorsement to your current license you have to take both written tests, Class C (regular car drivers license) & Class M (motorcycle license). Since I was off today I went online to schedule an appointment for next week (plenty of time to study) and the first appointment showing was for today at 2:40pm. Said screw it and took the appointment for today (an hour and a half from the time I set it). Took the tests and passed the auto test… failed the motorcycle test LOL. She asked me what I wanted to do and I asked to take it again. Passed it on the second try! So I am now officially legal (permit) and don’t have to worry about getting hassled by the man on my way to off-road adventures in my area.

#43: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:56 am
    ----
Wow - hey congrats on the endorsement dude!

That's simpler than in Virginia. And I remember back in the 70's in California they had you go out in the parking lot and do like a full circle...guess they got ride of the riding test altogether!

When I got my endorsement here in Virginia a few years ago, you had to have a learner's permit for 30 days before you could go back for the endorsement test. And the learners permit stipulated that you had to have a licensed rider accompany you on all rides (yeah like that ever happened) PLUS when you go back after 30 days to take the tests for your endorsement, you have to be accompanied by a licensed rider, and they check that when you go up to the window...no buddy, no test. So if you have no friends or acquaintances you're SOL.

Then you take the written mo'cycle test and a riding test on a little painted course with lines and cones and show you can do emergency stops, swerves, slalom between cones, U-turns and figure 8's in an 8 or 10-ft wide rectangle depending on size of the bike (cruiser riders get a break) and if the tester passes you, you're good to go. The cool thing is, the little test range is accessible after hours in the parking lot so you can go do little practice and warmup sessions whenever you want. I actually still go visit it on a semiregular basis to do some gymkhana-type stuff to keep the skills sharpened.

Good on you for getting legal! I wasn't, back in the day, either! Wink

#44: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:27 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

That's simpler than in Virginia. And I remember back in the 70's in California they had you go out in the parking lot and do like a full circle...guess they got ride of the riding test altogether!

When I got my endorsement here in Virginia a few years ago, you had to have a learner's permit for 30 days before you could go back for the endorsement test. And the learners permit stipulated that you had to have a licensed rider accompany you on all rides (yeah like that ever happened) PLUS when you go back after 30 days to take the tests for your endorsement, you have to be accompanied by a licensed rider, and they check that when you go up to the window...no buddy, no test. So if you have no friends or acquaintances you're SOL.

Then you take the written mo'cycle test and a riding test on a little painted course with lines and cones and show you can do emergency stops, swerves, slalom between cones, U-turns and figure 8's in an 8 or 10-ft wide rectangle depending on size of the bike (cruiser riders get a break) and if the tester passes you, you're good to go. The cool thing is, the little test range is accessible after hours in the parking lot so you can go do little practice and warmup sessions whenever you want. I actually still go visit it on a semiregular basis to do some gymkhana-type stuff to keep the skills sharpened.

Well all that gets me is the permit. I still have to take the actual riding test or, I can take a Basic California motorcyclist safety program training course (16 hours) and then take the certificate to the DMV and get my license. By-passes the actual DMV riding test plus gives you a discount on your motorcycle insurance (which I found out I had to get since mine is plated). Talked to a buddy at work and he said he took it and it was fun. They supply the motorcycles (think they are 250's or something smaller).

www.ca-msp.org/

#45: Re: Decided to get back into Dirt Biking. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:55 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
- JG300-Stoopy

Well all that gets me is the permit. I still have to take the actual riding test or, I can take a Basic California motorcyclist safety program training course (16 hours) and then take the certificate to the DMV and get my license. By-passes the actual DMV riding test plus gives you a discount on your motorcycle insurance (which I found out I had to get since mine is plated). Talked to a buddy at work and he said he took it and it was fun. They supply the motorcycles (think they are 250's or something smaller).

www.ca-msp.org/

The ex-wife did it that way, and it was good as she lacked experience, they supply the bikes (so I didn't have to put mine at risk, I believe they were using Suzuki 250's or something) and there was no complication of any frustration at trying to teach someone with whom you have a relationship. Plus, there's the discount angle.

She had high praise for the course, and was not American born (English was a second language).

I also had it on authority of others who had taken the CA DMV test (where you have to supply the motorcycle) that their test had maneuvers that were not readily attainable by the turn radius for their bikes unless you were extensively experienced, if then. I grandfathered in because I had a license from a state with reciprocity with CA so didn't have to take any tests (and have had motorcycles licenses for over twenty years back in '95 when I'd moved to CA.

Take the course, get the benefits and remove all doubt. Wink

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum