Ordnance Tiger I comes "home"
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Ordnance Tiger I comes "home" Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:51 pm
    ----
- piney
So the next question that comes to mind is where did "his" Tiger I come from? since they say it is being restored and not a replica under construction. I go with Regan here "Trust but Verify"

well, the “self styled” experts would probably guess that there are enough Tiger I armor bits here and there to make one complete vehicle. For instance, when you add the Tiger I incomplete hull in a private collection near Frankfurt am Main, plus the Tiger I main gun, turret and hull armor plates and suspension parts found somewhere in Kurland, plus some other bits that are not in the PDF list, you could imagine to put all this together to make one vehicle..

so this is "virtually" one more Tiger I.

P-O

#17: Re: Ordnance Tiger I comes "home" Author: ajmac PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 am
    ----
When you look at the amount of work that Bovvy had to get done on the Tiger I to get her running again, I expect it will be many years before either Ft B Tiger or Wheatcroft's are in full running order. It isn't like working on a Sherman.

#18: Re: Ordnance Tiger I comes "home" Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 am
    ----
Who knows what's been found in the depths of what was east of The Iron Curtain?

#19: Re: Ordnance Tiger I comes "home" Author: ajmac PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:09 am
    ----
If the Tiger I that KW is working on was in good condition, even close to good condition he wouldn't have been so slow in sending back the USA machine. It is the same with my Loyd, what I could really do with is a perfect original Loyd in the same workshop so that when I need to check on the location of a part, or have something remanufactured I have somewhere to reference.

People seem to make a lot of the USA Tiger but is has never been as complete as Bovingtons example and if you remember, it has the left side of the turret and hull gas axed off. I don't think it will ever be a runner in the same fashion as 131.

#20: Re: Ordnance Tiger I comes "home" Author: ajmac PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:14 am
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e

Anything! KW was collecting back in the 90s when the East was wide open, back in the day, German aircraft were being brought back to the UK almost monthly! I am sure armour found it's way back too.
Good luck to KW, he spends millions on bringing rare wartime vehicles back to perfact condition and they usually gat an outing for the public too. I don't know why people give him such a hard time, he does much more for historic AFVs than many international 'museums' do.

#21: Re: Ordnance Tiger I comes "home" Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:15 pm
    ----
- ajmac
- Pzkpfw-e

Anything! KW was collecting back in the 90s when the East was wide open, back in the day, German aircraft were being brought back to the UK almost monthly! I am sure armour found it's way back too.
Good luck to KW, he spends millions on bringing rare wartime vehicles back to perfact condition and they usually gat an outing for the public too. I don't know why people give him such a hard time, he does much more for historic AFVs than many international 'museums' do.

Now, where's the "Like" button when you need it?

#22: Re: Ordnance Tiger I comes "home" Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:55 pm
    ----
I agree, where is the like button! KW and a few others have done great things for the preservation of historic military vehicles. They should be commended, not demonized for their passions.

-> AFV News Discussion Board