Coolest flight tracking software I've seen....
-> Officer's Club

#1: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:39 pm
    ----
I generally use Flightaware.com for tracking flights when I need to, but this is pretty cool, although I don't know if it does private flights too....nice interface though (notice the different icons based on plane size - Airbus 380 is a big'un), and smooth near-real-time! Worth a look!

www.flightradar24.com/

Hey there's a Boeing 767 from Frankfurt about to come right over my house, gotta run outside and see it!

#2: Re: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:10 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

Hey there's a Boeing 767 from Frankfurt about to come right over my house, gotta run outside and see it!

I was on more of those out of Frankfort than I could count, though I was usually going to/from Chicago or Dallas (yep, AA). However when I played my card right, I could get a "Triple Seven" out of L.A. with no plane change (usually via London Heathrow....yuch. This was before the new terminal opened.

As far south as you are, a 767 from Frankfort is likely going to Houston, Atlanta or maybe Miami (Double yuch!). Most of my international flights out of the U.S. were on AA, so that pretty much meant one of 3-4 airports.

#3: Re: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:29 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout

I was on more of those out of Frankfort than I could count, though I was usually going to/from Chicago or Dallas (yep, AA). However when I played my card right, I could get a "Triple Seven" out of L.A. with no plane change (usually via London Heathrow....yuch. This was before the new terminal opened.

As far south as you are, a 767 from Frankfort is likely going to Houston, Atlanta or maybe Miami (Double yuch!). Most of my international flights out of the U.S. were on AA, so that pretty much meant one of 3-4 airports.

Long flight! I got burned out enough on the bi-monthly flights between DC and Dallas.

Actually the Lufthansa 767 was at about 4,000 ft setting up for a landing at Dulles, which is a ways away but still nets us some flyover traffic once in a while.

There was also an Airbus 380 over Nevada heading out of LA and destined for Charles DeGaulle Airport...and will be visible somewhere along the path for a while Definitely need some good reading material on that flight!

#4: Re: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:42 am
    ----
[quote="JG300-Stoopy"]
- JG300-Ascout

Actually the Lufthansa 767 was at about 4,000 ft setting up for a landing at Dulles, which is a ways away but still nets us some flyover traffic once in a while.

There was also an Airbus 380 over Nevada heading out of LA and destined for Charles DeGaulle Airport...and will be visible somewhere along the path for a while Definitely need some good reading material on that flight!

Absolutely the best flight are the long ones with no changes to get to your overwater plane. So a 777 or whatever out of LA to anywhere in 'Urp is better than a change in ChiTown, Dallas, NY, etc. On the big plane, you can settle in, take an Ambien and belt down a few drinks, then order dinner-on-demand as you watch a DVD and then sleep for 8 hours (as it's 11-12 hours from West Coast to continent, depending on jet stream). I liked the longest flights possible because it meant less time changing or flying on less comfortable planes with fewer services. (First Class on a 777 is very nice, what with them little sleeping pods and all).

I found you can basically go to/from anywhere in the world in 3 flights, maximum....and it's better if you can restrict it to two.

#5: Re: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:52 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
...On the big plane, you can settle in, take an Ambien and belt down a few drinks, then order dinner-on-demand as you watch a DVD and then sleep for 8 hours...

Dangerous way to go - I gave up sleeping on airliners. I don't wanna get Incepted. Wink

#6: Re: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:26 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
- JG300-Ascout
...On the big plane, you can settle in, take an Ambien and belt down a few drinks, then order dinner-on-demand as you watch a DVD and then sleep for 8 hours...

Dangerous way to go - I gave up sleeping on airliners. I don't wanna get Incepted. Wink

I gave up on flying altogether. I don't want to get anally probed by somebody who's professional experience includes janitorial service or timing french fries in the vat at Mickey D's. Rolling Eyes

#7: Re: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:25 pm
    ----
very sweet...

installed the free version on my razr (the developers name is like something from Kazakhstan so my google wallet wont authorize the $3 for the pro version LOL)...

Have a couple kids flying over from Italy on seperate flights in the next 10 days and one going back. We like Swiss Air (LX8/LX9) to and fro o'hare to zurich... Al Italia (read that US Airways) sux... so does Lufthansa but unfortunately they often have the lowest fairs... its in and out of Frankfurt and then Venice.

anyhow, I use flight tracker software and their alerts a lot and this is one of the best!

#8: Re: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 am
    ----
Interesting! I was just looking at it and semi-randomly clicking on aircraft in the MD-VA area and stumbled on one identified as 'GOTO FMS' Wondering what Airline that was I looked over at the info block and it says it is an E-6 Mercury flown by the US Navy. It is the TACAMO patrol aircraft!. He has been flying to the south-southwest from mid NY to just southwest of Richmond. Now as I write this it just disappeared Then showed up near Los Angeles then showed up east of Richmond then is near Albequerque, then back east of Richmond! Now the same aircraft (Reg 164406) has changed its radar type and is named No Callsign. GOTO FMS is REG 163919. Now it is REG 164407. And there was just another number I missed! Seems like there are at least 4 A/C squawking the same ADS-B code!!! This is interesting and could be addictive

#9: Re: Coolest flight tracking software I've seen.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:10 am
    ----
- bsmart
... Now as I write this it just disappeared Then showed up near Los Angeles then showed up east of Richmond then is near Albequerque, then back east of Richmond! ...

There may be certain... vehicles... that appear to jump around at high speeds like that, its best not to post about them. And keep watch outside the house for any black surveillance vans now that you have...

I agree it's addictive. Apparently the flight data is provided by a volunteer network of data feeds via radio (?) which explains the sometimes-spotty coverage compared to other tools like flightaware.com

Have you tried the Aircraft View (Beta) that's on the little blue button under the info display of a flight when you click on it? Verrrrry cool concept....try catching a plane that is setting up an approach for landing, better yet do it in a scenic area like SFO or Vanc'oover eh...

-> Officer's Club