New Computer
-> Hardware

#1: New Computer Author: Ojisan_RockLocation: Hopfully on your 6 PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:54 pm
    ----
Well....i just got off the phone and ordered new computer. Should be here in 3-5 days, and hopfully cable company will be here to get her running in the same time.

Here are the specs:

Intel Pentium D Extreme Edition, dual-core, HT Tech. (3.2GB )
500GB Sata II Raid1 Hard Drive
2GB memory ( DDR2 SDRAM )
256mb Nvidia GeForce 6800
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Dolby Digital

This is all from a Dell XPS Generation 5

I'm thinking that i won't have shaking screen anymore and finally have some fun for once. As you can imagine, i am pleased and waiting like a little kid. Should be a wonderful experience going from this old 866mhz to the new monster coming from the UPS man.

Rock

#2: Re: New Computer Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:38 am
    ----
WOW, going from an 866 to dual 3.2's? WOOOHOOO!!! I'm happy for ya too...:D

#3: Re: New Computer Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:33 am
    ----
Hope you'll be doing some benchies on that, so we can see how it performs and compare it with others.
www.buildyourown.org.u...IC_ID=3003

RAID-0 would've given you faster performance but at least RAID-1 will back up your data and be a less risky solution.

~S~
Cool

#4: Re: New Computer Author: Ojisan_RockLocation: Hopfully on your 6 PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:49 pm
    ----
Thank you both!

Your gonna have to help me with the bench battles Shades, what do i do, join the forum and post my specs and let it fly? Please excuse me rookie questions....LOL

Thank you! Mr. Green

Rock

#5: Re: New Computer Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:15 pm
    ----
Think you have to join the forum to be able to post.
There are several benchmarks available on that thread and the titles refer to the software used for each.
Current favourites (for reasons of hardware evolution) are;
3DMark05 and Aquamark.
It's a matter of downloading the (free) software and running on a fresh boot (so ur system's cool which will give better results). don't run anything distracting in the background which may interfere with the benchies. I disabled my AV and firewall n disconnected from the internet (after scanning the prog's to ensure it was safe to do so).
These benchies r mainly for graphic card performance but there are others (SiSoft Sandra) which will test the whole system even pointing out possible improvements and weak areas.
Good luck with them.

-> Hardware