Seek & Strike (The Big Picture)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 am
    ----
Interesting video about US Armor.
www.youtube.com/watch?...ature=plcp

#2: Re: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:13 am
    ----
Well, that was just spooky. The M48's I trained on in AIT were just like those and have the same markings, apart from the vehicle/unit numbers (but the style is the same). Took commo in that same room conducted exactly like that and did time on those same Sheridan turret trainers. Notice that the driver simulators (that we didn't have) are M60 T-Bar models, but the M48's, of course, had that silly steering wheel. Wonder what year these clips were made?

Thanks for posting, Mark. Real trip down memory lane there. Only thing missing is the M37 machine gun training (but picture a room just like the commo class, top floor of a WWII "temporary" barrack).

#3: Re: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:42 am
    ----
Mark,
Great video, thanks for sharing. The "Big Picture" series is interesting to check out and available on You Tube. Rick

#4: Re: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:17 pm
    ----
Potts Motor Park, from video: (exactly as I remember it. Dontos can recall my reaction when we passed it in '06

Tank from video, the big "4" is for 4th Bn., 1st Tng. Bde. The vehicle is from "E" Co., sister to my own.

Vehicle from my AIT unit, D-4-1 (the D-41 is just a coincidence, denotes vehicle 41 of Delta Co.).

Another AIT vehicle, from '71, note 1st Tng. Bde. in triangle.

Good times....

#5: Re: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:25 pm
    ----
They look like M48A2C's Smile

#6: Re: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:37 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
They look like M48A2C's Smile

They are, as it's been recently demonstrated. I had completely forgotten about them being gassers, though they did have the coincidence rangefinder so transition to M60's was a snap. In those days, there were no separate MOS's for vehicles, just "armor crewman", you were expected to be able to operate anything, and in any position. 11D's did get M114 training, and Sheridans when they came on line.

The first time I ever even stepped aboard an M113 was when i took command of an ACAV in VN. Rolling Eyes

#7: Re: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 am
    ----
The tanks in the first picture (Potts Motor Park) of Doug's post look like M60s. The rest, like Mark said, are M48A2Cs.

#8: Re: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:35 am
    ----
First photo the tank closest appears to have a tension wheel, but it is blurred a bit. Rick

#9: Re: Seek & Strike (The Big Picture) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:39 pm
    ----
- Costas_TT
The tanks in the first picture (Potts Motor Park) of Doug's post look like M60s. The rest, like Mark said, are M48A2Cs.

You're right, they have 105's in the three frames shot in Potts. The driver simulators are also M60's, but the other shots of the driving course are M48's. Likely this film consists of clips taken at slightly different times,or at a time when both vehicles were in service in the training brigrade.
The M60 was very much in service when I trained, but not what my tng. unit used...likely demand was still high in the front line units in Germany, Korea and CONUS, so they were using up the M48's. Also, fully half of my AIT class went to Vietnam (almost half to Germany, the others elsewhere), so time spent on the type was not wasted.

-> AFV News Discussion Board