Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor....
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Software

#16: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:13 pm
    ----
-S-

"I have over 2,000 albums and would probably die before I got through all that lot."

Hey Shades...when you croak, can I have your music..?

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#17: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:27 pm
    ----
- 401RCAF_Hammer
-S-

"I have over 2,000 albums and would probably die before I got through all that lot."

Hey Shades...when you croak, can I have your music..?

A sample from the "Shades Collection"...

I, on the other hand, have an original, sealed copy of....

"Mom's Apple Pie"

NESFW*

*Not Entirely Safe For Work.

#18: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 pm
    ----
-S-

Thanks for the tip off Ascout.....ummmm, you can keep it Shades.

#19: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 pm
    ----
BATSDITS!!!!

Although I have to confess I think my first single was Rolf Harris' "Tow Little Boys"!
*sigh!*
First album was AC/DC High Voltage though.

#20: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:49 am
    ----
- Shades
BATSDITS!!!!

Although I have to confess I think my first single was Rolf Harris' "Tow Little Boys"!
*sigh!*
First album was AC/DC High Voltage though.

...and it should be noted that Shades was following Justin Bieber back before all the skwirrels found it fashionable to do so. Respect, Man!

My first album was either the first Kingston Trio LP (hot on the heels of the chart busting single, "Tom Dooley"), or "Adventures in Sound & Space" (both released in 1958), featuring the squarest-jawed voice ever to cut grooves in vinyl. No word on when "Col. Erhardt" made O-6, or how he passed his years as a company grade officer, but he obviously had leadership qualities unmatched since...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=poxUYao9nu8

Thankfully, you can stream and save the entire album!

#21: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:56 am
    ----
Man that is definitely some serious space patrol stuff going down. Col. Erhardt sounds all business and totally has his scheiss together, packed into into efficient little squares even.

First album was Montavani & Orchestra. Don't remember the title other than the cover was blue. But it was the LIVE album, man!

I was 12 and trying to cope with / offset my sister's Bobby Sherman infatuation....unfortunately history seems to be repeating itself and he seems to have been reincarnated as Justin Beiber....

#22: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:30 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Man that is definitely some serious space patrol stuff going down. Col. Erhardt sounds all business and totally has his scheiss together, packed into into efficient little squares even.

You know, it's funny now, but when I listen to Col. Erhardt, I flash on the JG300 Sqn. Leader at squad meetings...especially when we had a new recruit that we were breakin' in. "(Grizzled Mr. Magoo laugh...heh, heh, heh...remember Son, the first time is not necessarily the hardest..heh, heh.")

Wink

#23: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:37 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

Ascout you get that thing hooked up yet or what?

Okey-Dokey, I picked up the RCA-1/8th pin cable yesterday and did some experimentin' with cassette recordings. My SB X-Fi 1000 requires inputting at the mic/line in plug and i finally got a signal that I could record.

What comes over from the tape deck is at a very low level (it's un-amped, of course, but I do record my tapes as hot as possible while remaining south of distortion to reduce apparent tape noise). The levels coming across to Audacity are quite low (even with the "virtual sliders" full right)...so low that to have anything usable, you have first to record, then playback using the "effects" feature "amplify". That puts it right into the correct range on the levels. (this can be saved in the final product) Is that typical? That is, have you found that with (the sound card slider pretty far right), the signal from a non-preamped analog source is quite low? So low that the audacity "amplify"(and probably some Eq) will be required to make usable MP3's for listening pleasure?

I saw on general tutorials that normally, one doesn't use the mic in on most sound cards as a line signal might be too hot for the card, but it's the only choice on mine (per SB). I just wondered if you were having to boost the signal once recorded typically (though you mentioned using mostly a USB turntable and many turntables have some pre-amping, which my JVC cassette deck does not. Haven't noticed a lot of noise or anything when using the effect, ans was experimenting on the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" tape I made, since it has a lot of acoustic and vocals on it.

Tonight, I'll try something edgier like Little Feat.

#24: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:28 am
    ----
I recorded my tapes the same way - a high school buddy became a DJ and taught me a lot about proper levels and queuing songs up. Anyway....

My efforts to record from cassette to PC via the line-in were done about 10 years ago so the details are difficult to recall. I don't believe I had much of an issue with the input volume, although I have had to use the "boost" option before for some mics and devices....in Windows XP, right-click on the volume setting on the system tray and look for an "Advanced" button in the dialogue that has the volume sliders and controls, and maybe you'll find a boost option.

That being said...if you've found an option that works for you and no loss of quality (at least hopefully you're not amplifying a worse percentage of hiss and such) then don't go too far mucking things up trying to tweak it.

Unfortunately I am running Windows 7 now (well not unfortunate, it's good stuff) and using the native sound drivers instead of the soundblaster tools and utilities, so I have no meaningful reference to look at.

#25: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
I recorded my tapes the same way - a high school buddy became a DJ and taught me a lot about proper levels and queuing songs up. Anyway....

My efforts to record from cassette to PC via the line-in were done about 10 years ago so the details are difficult to recall. I don't believe I had much of an issue with the input volume, although I have had to use the "boost" option before for some mics and devices....in Windows XP, right-click on the volume setting on the system tray and look for an "Advanced" button in the dialogue that has the volume sliders and controls, and maybe you'll find a boost option.

That being said...if you've found an option that works for you and no loss of quality (at least hopefully you're not amplifying a worse percentage of hiss and such) then don't go too far mucking things up trying to tweak it.

Unfortunately I am running Windows 7 now (well not unfortunate, it's good stuff) and using the native sound drivers instead of the soundblaster tools and utilities, so I have no meaningful reference to look at.

Whoa, big help! No "boost" option, but the advanced slider for inputs was well below what was optimal for cutting from tape. Also, as some of the tapes were either recorded simultaneously on audio output bypass to a good stereo VHS recorder (remember those?) and some were later taped from the stereo VHS, there can be double the tape hiss. The "noise reduction" effect proved useful there, especially as a lot of my favorite stuff is wildly modulated from very soft acoustic passages to heavily modulated electric stuff and percussion. Then I can come along with the EQ function and tweak the bits that my ears can still hear.

I think there's hope. Had a lot of radio and concerts recorded, some from simulcasts, so I can soon enjoy some of this stuff in the car (as soon as I burn some discs). Previously, I was limited to home listening since le' car has no cassette player no mo'.

This is like some of the trick stuff I was able to do with panoramic shots I played with in 35mm over in the land of the hostiles in black pajamas, never knowing that I'd actually be able to overlay them. It's like finding a scanner and Photoshop for the first time all over again!

#26: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 am
    ----
Awesome, kewl as a jewel! Now go forth and Rock On, brother!

#27: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:49 pm
    ----
Not to sidetrack this thread but just to bring some extra closure to it, Mrs. Santa apparently visited the nearby guitar boutique and a new (to me) DiPinto Galaxie IV now joins the collection. I am totally stoked and have been playing my fingers off. It's got a nice long scale and a good LOUD voice to it, totally surftronic attitude and sound, and the fact that it's an early version with a 5-position switch rather than the 4 independent toggles doesn't hurt it's versatility at all. It's not sunburst like the other members of the Holy Trinity of Fender Surf guitars but it's close enough and a definite keeper!

#28: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:06 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
.... It's got a nice long scale and a good LOUD voice to it, totally surftronic attitude and sound, and the fact that it's an early version with a 5-position switch rather than the 4 independent toggles doesn't hurt it's versatility at all.

Well, you'd expect that with a long curved neck and that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "arrow" thing goin' on. Wink

#29: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:18 am
    ----
stoopy, you should hook up with hf_warbucks who is a musician by trade (bassist) but he did just uy a sweet electric fiddle...

my first two albums were (gifts...), herb albert, jim neighbors

slow <- all red in face....

but I bought mostly blues albums, howlin wolf, etc... and buffalo springfiled, yada yada....

#30: Re: Need a good audio (MP3, esp.) editor.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:18 am
    ----
Nice.
Ummm, what the heck is that thing on the right?
A musical instrument or a huntin' instrument?

Slow, I only started gettin' into Howlin' Wolf in the last few years, mainly by accident as he kept coming to me via blues/guitar compilation albums.
Starting to find out about a lot of great music this way.

-> Software