Type 38 & 37mm - AL Post 40 - Danville, PA
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Type 38 & 37mm - AL Post 40 - Danville, PA Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 am
    ----
Hi all -

While stopping by the American Legion Post 40 in Danville, PA to see the M60A3, we photographed these artillery pieces as well.

37mm

Type 38

Type 38 Breech Detail

Type 38 Data Plate

Cheers,
VB

#2: Re: Type 38 & 37mm - AL Post 40 - Danville, PA Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:59 pm
    ----
I've been running a project recently to decode Japanese gun markings.

The Danville Type 38 is quite interesting the oval data plate, which I assume was on the carriage, says it was built in Taisho 8 or 1919 at the
Osaka Army Arsenal.

The breech ring says the gun is a Type 38 field gun made in Showa 18 or 1943 at the Osaka Arsenal. The Osaka Arsenal changed name in 1923 so the script on the lower part of the breech ring looks different from that on the data plate.

Probably the original 1919 gun was rebuilt in 1943 with a new barrel and breech assembly.

Japanese Kanji script is read right to left pre-1945.

Regards,

Charlie

#3: Re: Type 38 & 37mm - AL Post 40 - Danville, PA Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:50 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info Charlie. keep them coming, I appreciate your contributions.

Massimo

#4: Re: Type 38 & 37mm - AL Post 40 - Danville, PA Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:20 pm
    ----
Charlie do you have Combat Weapons, Japanese. 1968? it has a lot of translations of ordinance terms in it.

#5: Re: Type 38 & 37mm - AL Post 40 - Danville, PA Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 pm
    ----
Haven't seen that publication - sounds like it would have saved me a lot of work.

I just use Google translate and a lot of help from Japanese speakers on the papermodelers forum.

I read somewhere that Chinese and Japanese speakers have a lot more of their brains devoted to pattern recognition - I'd believe that - Kanji is seriously hard.

Regards,

Charlie

#6: Re: Type 38 & 37mm - AL Post 40 - Danville, PA Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 am
    ----
Would someone please tell the people at Danville that guns with wooden wheels shouldn't be left to support the weight of the gun on the wheels - the wheels eventually collapse. The wheels also should be rotated 110 deg every 6 months to stop water pooling at the bottom of the wheel.

I don't know how far Danville is from Amish country but the wheels seriously need attention by a wheelwright before they collapse and need to be rebuilt.

Regards,

Charlie

#7: Re: Type 38 & 37mm - AL Post 40 - Danville, PA Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:41 pm
    ----
Amish are mostly in Lancaster and Berks County, a good bit south of Danville, PA. If anyone does try to get them to work on the wheels, just don't mention they carry an artillery piece! The Amish (religious beliefs) will shun any member who serves US military and more likely not be too thrilled with fixing a weapon! I used to live in Lancaster County, PA.
As always nice photos Vagabonds! Thanks for sharing.Also, Thanks to Charlie for interpretations. Rick

-> Artillery Forum