M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:05 pm
    ----
I hope to move back to central Pennsylvania in the next year or two so that I can access Carlisle again to get better scans of these photographs. Years ago all I had was a tripod, Pentax 35mm, and my own home-made lighting system, which worked at the time! Rick

#2: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:11 pm
    ----
I kind of like the M4 with Pershing turret, looks nice. Would love to see what it looks like on a restored vehicle.

P-O

#3: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
I hope to move back to central Pennsylvania in the next year or two so that I can access Carlisle again to get better scans of these photographs. Years ago all I had was a tripod, Pentax 35mm, and my own home-made lighting system, which worked at the time! Rick

I admire your determination!

Pentax 35mm, let me guess, Post Exchange?

Those are the biggest grousers I've ever seen. Looks like a Thiokol SnowCat or a PistenBully.

#4: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 pm
    ----
P-O, Glad you liked the M4/M26! It was a one of a kind test. Rick

Doug,
No PX, I was born in 1957 so no draft or service time for me. I was raising a family (2 daughters) and first marriage was at 18, so a very limited budget! I actually had 2 Pentax, ME Super and K1000 back then, the diopters,and lighting set up was my own cost effective system, which I bought as could afford. Grousers were a test only too. Rick

#5: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:48 pm
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
P-O, Glad you liked the M4/M26! It was a one of a kind test. Rick

Doug,
No PX, I was born in 1957 so no draft or service time for me. I was raising a family (2 daughters) and first marriage was at 18, so a very limited budget! I actually had 2 Pentax, ME Super and K1000 back then, the diopters,and lighting set up was my own cost effective system, which I bought as could afford. Grousers were a test only too. Rick

Thx. I only asked because there was a time when Pentax 35mm's practically crowded all other products off the shelves at certain PX's. I sprung for a Konica Autoreflex T because it had an autoexposure feature (rare for the time) which was useful for rapid reaction shots and minimal experience (as prior ownership of a Kodak Instamatic doesn't prepare the new 35mm owner for). Actually, my Konica served me well, but I learned used proprietary (and expensive) accessory lenses. Years later, I bought a Minolta to solve that issue.

Their used to be a Pentax 1/2 frame 35mm that I almost bought as well, which would have been useful when my "vehicle" was a pair of jungle boots. Much lighter and would have been practical to carry on foot. Was almost the size of a pocket camera today, and you got twice as many exposures per roll, though of half the resolution.

#6: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:47 pm
    ----
I had the K1000 from around 1980, then '82 got ME Super (mainly since they shared lenses!) and over time had reasonable results. Cameras and lenses bought at dept. stores. Never owned the Pentax half frame, but a friend in WA state used to send me his Olympus half frame to shoot Aberdeen. I didn't like it due to the time it took to shoot 36 exposures (72 actually) and by then I wanted quality vs quantity.
Now have the Canon EOS Rebel XSi and seldom do I print anything, just save it in computer. I've also started keeping the memory sticks, I guess as "negatives" . For a short time, my present wife had bought me a Nikon 2 pixel point & shoot that I saved photos in an old computer, and plan to move them onto this one, or a later model computer. It worked ok, but I wanted Quality and flexibility. The scanner I use is a Canon MX850 which copies old photos rather well.

#7: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:28 am
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman

Now have the Canon EOS Rebel XSi and seldom do I print anything, just save it in computer. I've also started keeping the memory sticks, I guess as "negatives" . For a short time, my present wife had bought me a Nikon 2 pixel point & shoot that I saved photos in an old computer, and plan to move them onto this one, or a later model computer. It worked ok, but I wanted Quality and flexibility. The scanner I use is a Canon MX850 which copies old photos rather well.

1. Three words: External Hard Drives. Have several and my image and other libraries are backed up in a minimum of three places.

2. Never let your "present wife" see or hear you use that term. For the same reason one should never refer to one's "first wife" as such, at least while still married to that one, anyway. "Current wife" is to be discouraged by reason of the same logic (unless you're trying to keep her on her toes). They read stuff into phrases like that, just like they can read minds and see the future. Laughing

#8: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Rick_Eshleman

1. Three words: External Hard Drives. Have several and my image and other libraries are backed up in a minimum of three places.

2. Never let your "present wife" see or hear you use that term. For the same reason one should never refer to one's "first wife" as such, at least while still married to that one, anyway. They read stuff into phrases like that, just like they can read minds and see into the future. Laughing

RE: The "Present Wife"

Doug, that sounds like the voice of experience...

#9: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:47 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
- Doug_Kibbey
- Rick_Eshleman

2. Never let your "present wife" see or hear you use that term. For the same reason one should never refer to one's "first wife" as such, at least while still married to that one, anyway. They read stuff into phrases like that, just like they can read minds and see into the future. Laughing

RE: The "Present Wife"

Doug, that sounds like the voice of experience...

Further into a conversation, I once used the phrase "first wife" (I married late). No intention of there ever being a second, even in the absence of the first. I've made many mistakes, but I don't repeat the big ones. Wink

#10: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:54 am
    ----
Doug and C Sherman,
Thanks for the reminder! I forget that wives have little or no sense of humor. Thus why I keep no weapons in the house! Luckily, mine sees this forum (or any tank related) and leaves the room ASAP! Best hobby ever!
(1)I will get an external hard drive, since it will back up my photos.

(2) I have to get a taste tester to make sure it is pepper she's loading onto my food! Shocked Good night, Rick

#11: Re: M4A3 with grousers and M4 with M26 turret Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:21 pm
    ----
Nice find on that M4/T26 test rig. That appears to be the hull from an M4 with 105mm howitzer (the only M4 that used the welded "wet stowage type hull) with VVSS. The most commonly seen Sherman/Pershing hybrid rig was an M4A3E8 with T26E3 turret that was tested at APG. It would be interesting to know if that was a wartime test or a post war experiment to look at upgrading surplus M4s with 105mm howitzers.

-> AFV News Discussion Board