May I intoduce T-34-85 No. 101 to the list.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: May I intoduce T-34-85 No. 101 to the list. Author: dogtagsLocation: East Central Wisconsin PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:28 am
    ----
Here is the T-34-85 that was just delivered to Military Veterans Museum and Education Center, Oshkosh, WI, USA at the beginning of this month.

We have cleaned up a large diesel oil spill in the hull and identified the location of the leak. We will be patching up the leaky pipe and installing new batteries shortly. After that it's complete fluids replacement and a test run.

Do you think B-3438 is the correct serial number for this tank as shown in the photo below?

To read a bit about the tanks history, please see the article that appeared in the December 23, 1991, Vol. 36, No. 24 issue of People Magazine. You can access it at: www.people.com/people/...80,00.html

~Robert

#2: Re: May I intoduce T-34-85 No. 101 to the list. Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:41 pm
    ----
Hello Robert,
Nice tank!

Were does this tank come from?

Regards,
Lesley

#3: Re: May I intoduce T-34-85 No. 101 to the list. Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:17 pm
    ----
I saw of photo of this tank on Instagram last night. I was wondering where it originated.

#4: Re: May I intoduce T-34-85 No. 101 to the list. Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
Hello Robert,
Nice tank!

Were does this tank come from?

Regards,
Lesley

From Russia with love, according to the link the OP posted.
www.people.com/people/...80,00.html
"Costa contacted Gorbachev in May 1990. "We would display this tank with honor," he wrote. Gorby—in a message relayed through the Soviet Embassy in Washington three months later—said, "Da!"

"Back in the U.S.S.R., Major Vorobijov was given the job of finding a tank, finally locating one—which had seen action against the Japanese in the closing days of the war—in an obsolete weapons yard"

#5: Re: May I intoduce T-34-85 No. 101 to the list. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:32 am
    ----
So what is it's history since it came to the U.S.

#6: Re: May I intoduce T-34-85 No. 101 to the list. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:46 am
    ----
- bsmart
So what is it's history since it came to the U.S.

Bob,
If what you mean by that is "where's it been?", this thread suggests that the same vehicle was in storage for some 15 years.

It was homeless for 15 years?! Shocked

www.steelsoldiers.com/...es-T-34-85

#7: Re: May I intoduce T-34-85 No. 101 to the list. Author: dogtagsLocation: East Central Wisconsin PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:25 am
    ----
It wasn't homeless. It just hung out at Costa's house next to his Sherman and M60 for a few (20+ years).

Once Bob realized his plans for the Museum wouldn't pan out, he just held on to them.

The M60 ended up at Mark Sonday's place (now the Russel Military Museum in IL) a number of years ago and the Sherman was sold to a collector earlier this year.

~Robert

-> AFV News Discussion Board