ID?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: ID? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm
    ----

#2: Re: ID? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:40 pm
    ----
Short-tracked Frankentank based on PT-76 hull (front idler is missing, but the bar is there)?

What's that S. Korean flag on in back ground?

#3: Re: ID? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:24 pm
    ----
The photo is from South Korea. Smile

#4: Re: ID? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 pm
    ----
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ht_tank%29

#5: Re: ID? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 am
    ----
You da Man, Massimo!

#6: Re: ID? Author: combatcarl05 PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 am
    ----
The building in the back ground in the Korean war musium in Seoul South Korea. The place is huge and a lot of great exibits.

#7: Re: ID? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:53 pm
    ----
I'm thinking it must have been captured by ROK forces in Vietnam? Wasnt in service during the Korean War.

#8: Re: ID? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:57 pm
    ----
I have to check my sources, but I don't recall any engagement between ROKA units and NVA tanks. In addition, the NVA mostly used the PT-76 (qv operations in the PDJ in Laos, Lang Vei, Ben Het & Lam Son 719), at least before the 1972 invasion of the South. As far as available sources indicate, this was the earliest that the 63 was employed by the NVA.

www.patriotfiles.com/f...p?t=108639

Also, the South Koreans are not mentioned as having seen action during the 1972 Easter Offensive. Therefore, one wonders about the possibility of the tank being a gift from the ARVN, like the APC in the Aussie armor museum and the SPAAG in APG, or maybe even its crew defected with it to the South from the DPRK.

#9: Re: ID? Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:42 am
    ----
Maybe ROK simply bought one?

-> AFV News Discussion Board