Old Aberdeen Photos
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Old Aberdeen Photos Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:04 pm
    ----
When I was a young boy, my father was stuck in Aberdeen Maryland for a month as part of his job. While he was there he purchased one of those atrocious little cameras that used 110 film cartridges and took pictures of almost all the vehicles on display. I still have the stack of photos he brought back. Although the quality of the pictures is not very good, I thought they might be of interest to anyone curious to see how these vehicles were displayed circa 1980 or 81. I suspect that better pictures from this era exist of these vehicles, but perhaps these old snapshots will be of use to someone. I have them posted on my blog in three seperate posts. Rather than upload them all here, I'll just include the links to my blog posts below.

Photo set #1
Photo set #2

Photo set #3

A year or two after he took these pictures, I got to see the tanks at Aberdeen myself as part of a family vacation. I have wanted to get back there, but I am unsure if its worthwhile now that the collection has been split up with some of the vehicles going to Virginia. Is there a post somewhere explaining which vehicles are still in Aberdeen?

#2: Re: Old Aberdeen Photos Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 pm
    ----
Welcome Walter

Thank you so much for sharing these photos. Your first two blogs are the old so called "Mile of Tanks" that greeted visitors entering the post. unfortunately some time after your dad took the photos there was an auto accident on the road and legal issues forced all of them to be relocated. most went "behind the fence" at Aberdeen and were never seen by the public at large again, unless you were lucky enough to take one of Bob Smart's tours. Regretably, most are no longer at Aberdeen. These are a great resource for folks who never got the chance to see them.

Last edited by piney on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Old Aberdeen Photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 pm
    ----
What a great "snapshot in time"....and that applies to the whole series!

Many thanks for conserving and posting them. An exhibit we used to take for granted essentially lost (possibly forever).

#4: Re: Old Aberdeen Photos Author: rexross PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:58 am
    ----
Your photos are a memory trip for me. I was there in 1976 "back in the good old days". Many thanks .........

#5: Re: Old Aberdeen Photos Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:04 pm
    ----
A good set of historical photos.
Did they have a job lot of that grey paint?

#6: Re: Old Aberdeen Photos Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 pm
    ----
Walter, welcome. The current coverage on PreservedTanks.com is as follows:

Ordnance Museum, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland

It has been updated for most of the vehicle moves up to about the mid 2000s, but not yet the BRAC moves. The bulk of the photos were taken in 1983.

#7: Re: Old Aberdeen Photos Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:26 pm
    ----
Thanks Trevor, that's really useful!

#8: pics Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:57 pm
    ----
found some interesting slides from 1971

Dad's slides 123 von NEW COKE auf Flickr

Dad's slides 121 von NEW COKE auf Flickr

Dad's slides 124 von NEW COKE auf Flickr

Dad's slides 128 von NEW COKE auf Flickr

#9: more Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:58 pm
    ----

Dad's slides 125 von NEW COKE auf Flickr

Dad's slides 122 von NEW COKE auf Flickr

#10: Re: Old Aberdeen Photos Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:30 pm
    ----
Nice pictures, especially those of the early US prototypes.

Jeff

#11: Re: more Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 pm
    ----
- zemsi
Dad's slides 122[/url] von NEW COKE auf Flickr

The Mercedes W180 or whatever it is was nice too. If only you could have found a Chinese henchman clothing shop and an Aston-Martin DB5 to chase around! (and I saw the weapons-equipped version on display in a Utah....a Marie Callenders restaurant in Salt Lake City once, but that was '82-'83)

-> AFV News Discussion Board