T-72 at Nellis AFB
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T-72 at Nellis AFB Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:45 pm
    ----
On the following photo the tank has 6 attachement pont for a dozerblade and some other ''modifications''
www.omhphotos.com/p862...#h4bc0812c

On these pictures the tank looks more original
parrotheadjeff.com/gal...um=5&pos=1
commons.wikimedia.org/...k_T-72.JPG

Is this the same tank or are there two at Nellis AFB?

Regards,
Lesley

#2: Re: T-72 at Nellis AFB Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:16 pm
    ----
Lesley:

Wow . . . I'd have to say that the "T-72" in the first link really looks off. Fake, actually, is probably what I should say. My first reaction was "is there a Chieftain under all that applique?" The running gear looks right, but everything else just seems like it is made of wood or plastic. Proportions are wacked, details are lacking.

What is the story on this "tank"?

Mark

#3: Re: T-72 at Nellis AFB Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 pm
    ----
There are at least 2 T-72 tanks at Nellis AFB, that is if you count the one with the Maverick missile sticking out of it as a T-72. I haven't been there since 2008, but I saw both of them then. The real T-72 is the one in the second photo, which is in the USAF Threat Training Center compound. The fake one (with the Maverick) is a mockup of some sort, possibly made at least partially of fiberglass. I don't know the story behind the mockup, but I'm guessing that it was made as a training aid before real T-72s became available. It is quite a striking (and amusing) display when you first see it as you approach the Threat Training Center, and I imagine that someone had a lot of fun creating it. It is a shame that the Threat Training Center is so difficult to visit, being on an active AFB. It's AFV collection has some rare vehicles as well as a few more mockups of vehicles that are not available for real.

Alf

#4: Re: T-72 at Nellis AFB Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 pm
    ----
The T72 in the first picture (the fake) looks really similar to on that sits beside the road near the NTC Operations Group HQ at Ft. Irwin. From a distance it looks like the real deal, but to the experienced tank-spotter it looks just enough 'off' that you have to walk up to it to be sure. It is mostly fiberglass and aluminum sheet over a wood frame.

I'm pretty sure that the NTC tank (and probably the Nellis one) were early-80s mockups, used for reconnaissance and targeting training. The NTC mock-T72 has obviously been re-painted and cosmetically repaired over the years, and I suspect the same of the Nellis specimen. There are bits of a couple more of them at several locations inside "the Box" at the NTC, which are obviously fiberglass and aluminum.

However, the rust on the Nellis example makes me wonder if this is a Frankentank...part real (hull) and part mockup parts. I suppose it could be that they used mockup parts to complete a damaged hull?

I always wanted to visit the Nellis "petting zoo", but never had a chance to set it up while I lived there. Too bad really, since it has a reputation for having a number of unique and interesting items.

C

#5: Re: T-72 at Nellis AFB Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
The T72 in the first picture (the fake) looks really similar to on that sits beside the road near the NTC Operations Group HQ at Ft. Irwin....
C

Things that just don't "look quite right"...

#6: Re: T-72 at Nellis AFB Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:17 am
    ----
That's the stuff! But I think that last one is real, although I agree that the "Top Tank" crew thing seems odd.

Of course that may have been an OPFOR crew, so the T72 seemed appropriate in someone's mind. (I doubt they qualified in a T72, though!)

C

#7: Re: T-72 at Nellis AFB Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:54 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
That's the stuff! But I think that last one is real, although I agree that the "Top Tank" crew thing seems odd.

Of course that may have been an OPFOR crew, so the T72 seemed appropriate in someone's mind. (I doubt they qualified in a T72, though!)

C

I agree the last one is "mostly real", at least from turret ring down and much of it above. Some of the finishing bits are suspect (grenade/smoke launcher and some other aux. bits on the turret). I have two other views of that one and I thinks it's about 90% real deal. All the other ones are exercises in plastic/fiberglass and wood. And I can confirm that from touching them. Even the track is lightweight plastic.

-> AFV News Discussion Board