XM1 MBT photos. JPG.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 pm
    ----
3 views of old US Army PAO photos of the XM1. JPG Rick

Last edited by Rick_Eshleman on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: XM1 MBT photos from 1979. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 pm
    ----
I think the .tif file extension might be an issue for some (or all). May not be allowed. Suggest conversion to jpg, maybe? Tif files tend to be very large.

#3: Re: XM1 MBT photos. Deleted. Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 am
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
3 views of old US Army PAO photos of the XM1. Deleted. Rick

Crying or Very sad

#4: Re: XM1 MBT photos. Deleted. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
- Rick_Eshleman
3 views of old US Army PAO photos of the XM1. Deleted. Rick

Crying or Very sad

What Chuck said. Wasn't being suggest to pull them. Just that after several lengthy attempts to view, all I was getting was photo-less white rectangles where pictures should be. I did notice that the common denominator was that they were Tif files, which (allowed by the attachment software), may have gotten snipped by forum other forum software. At any rate, couldn't see anything except where the pics were supposed to be. Usually conversion to a less demanding format will fix that (the file sizes not being displayed were reporting as about 1.5 mega pixels, which is a lot for the boards). I didn't edit them or anything.

Probably not related, but we've also been having some multiple URL tag display issues being reported.

In any case, you are invited to try again.

#5: Re: XM1 MBT photos. Deleted. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 am
    ----
Hi all,
I pulled them, and will convert them to JPG photos later. Actually dropped size to 800x600, but new software has TIF default!
Anyway, sorry for inconvenience, they'll be posted later as JPG. Take care, Rick

#6: Re: XM1 MBT photos. Deleted. Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 pm
    ----
Irfanview is a good photo converter. It's free and can be put on and run using a USB flash drive making it portable if you don't want to install it on several computers.

Irfanview Homepage: www.irfanview.com/

Wheels

#7: Re: XM1 MBT photos. Deleted. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:02 pm
    ----
- wheelsup_cavu
Irfanview is a good photo converter. It's free and can be put on and run using a USB flash drive making it portable if you don't want to install it on several computers.

Irfanview Homepage: www.irfanview.com/

Wheels

Irfanview is da' bomb. Use it a lot.

#8: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 pm
    ----
All converted to JPG. Anyone having trouble viewing, let me know. Rick

#9: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 am
    ----
LRIP XM1s, rather than prototype XM1s.

#10: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:00 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
LRIP XM1s, rather than prototype XM1s.

www.com-central.net/in...p;start=60

#11: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 am
    ----
These photos are a variety of Tanks. All photos were sent to me years ago by Public Affairs officers at: TACOM, APG, Chrysler, or General Dynamics. Here's a few more. Rick

#12: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:19 pm
    ----
Sorry, yes, that should be FSED XM1s rather than prototypes.

#13: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:45 pm
    ----
Upon further examination, I'm not sure there are any true "XM1s" in this bunch - FSED or prototype. From the rears of the turrets that I can see they are likely LRIP models - which were sometimes also referred to as XM1s.

#14: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 pm
    ----
The black and white photos are the only ones that show an FSED PV tank. This is PV-1, most likely shown on roll-out day display at Detroit Army Tank Plant in February 1978.

The top photo (024) shows the first LRIP tank, L1, as it appeared when it was rolled out at Lima Army Tank Plant on 28 Feb. 1980. Technically, this tank was still an "XM1" because all 110 of the LRIP tanks were produced before the M1 was type-classified (but in those days, we (Fielding Team / NET Team) called the LRIP tanks "M1s" and we only called the FSED PV tanks "XM1"). L1 had a "Thunderbolt" logo painted on it in honor of Creighton Abrams' tank in WW2.

Photos 021, 017, and 007 most likely show LRIP tanks. 033 and 034 show M1A1s. 014 is an M1.

017 shows one of the LRIP tanks that was fielded to 2AD in the summer of 1982.

007 might show LRIP tank L8, which was shipped by C-5 to Eglin AFB for cold room testing.

#15: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:23 am
    ----
Here's the description on rear of photo #7:
DRSTE-PA 29-18 The Abrams main battle tank, XM1, deplanes from a C5-A for product validation testing at Yuma Proving Ground, Ariz. Featuring a gun-stabilization system that permits accurate firing at speeds up to 45 mph over rough or smooth terrain, the Abrams tanks is now under production with 110 to be delivered. Yuma Proving Ground is one of nine installations and activities of the US Army Test and Evaluation Command, which conducts developmental tests of proposed Army material. (US Army Photo by Robert V. Hohmann.)
Some of the other photos also have descriptions, most are blank on back. So this file of photos has some XM1 through M1A1 shots. I don't have the Richard Hunnicutt series (due to high costs years ago) but had used the Carlisle, MHI copies of his books to help verify stuff.
Rick

-> AFV News Discussion Board