XM1 MBT photos. JPG.
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:17 pm
    ----
Greetings to all, I have a question - where the surviving XM1 Chrysler prototype turret is located now?

#17: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 pm
    ----
Indeed, inquiring minds want to know. In the late 1990s, this turret (or another of the Chrysler test turrets) was mounted on the hull of XM1 FSED prototype PV4 at the headquarters of the US Army Tank-automotive Command in Warren, Michigan (along with some other interesting early M1 test beds). In the decade following, these vehicles disappeared. I was never able to discover where they went, even though I was a TACOM employee and knew whom to ask – no-one seemed to know. Do these things still exist somewhere, or were they scrapped?

#18: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:34 pm
    ----
- Geoff_walden
Indeed, inquiring minds want to know. In the late 1990s, this turret (or another of the Chrysler test turrets) was mounted on the hull of XM1 FSED prototype PV4 at the headquarters of the US Army Tank-automotive Command in Warren, Michigan (along with some other interesting early M1 test beds). In the decade following, these vehicles disappeared. I was never able to discover where they went, even though I was a TACOM employee and knew whom to ask – no-one seemed to know. Do these things still exist somewhere, or were they scrapped?

here it is -

Looks like Firepower test rig original turret.

#19: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:18 am
    ----

Does enybody know what are these mounts on XM1 for?

#20: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:54 pm
    ----
Where is "here"? I'm glad this turret survives.

Cheers,

Scott

#21: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:08 am
    ----
- Scott_Taylor
Where is "here"? I'm glad this turret survives.

Cheers,

Scott

At Tank-automotive Command in Warren, but no longer there.

#22: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:11 pm
    ----
- Andrei
- Geoff_walden

here it is -

Looks like Firepower test rig original turret.

Yeah, that's a photo I took at TACOM in 1999, along with others. But I still don't know where these things went.

#23: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:52 pm
    ----
XM1 early FSED turret model, said to be in Patton museum. It has cast gun mask and central part of the turret without combined armor, described in Hunnicutt book.
But it is the only photo of the model I found, maybe someone has more photo of this interesting design?
i.piccy.info/i9/eb3ce5...2864_n.jpg

#24: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:01 pm
    ----
- Andrei
XM1 early FSED turret model, said to be in Patton museum. It has cast gun mask and central part of the turret without combined armor, described in Hunnicutt book.
But it is the only photo of the model I found, maybe someone has more photo of this interesting design?
i.piccy.info/i9/eb3ce5...2864_n.jpg

Andrei, I think the first person I'd ask is Don Moriarty. He doesn't check in here often and he can most easily be reached personally or on several armor forums on Facebook.

#25: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:50 am
    ----
It looks like M9 Bulldozer kit on M1.
Very strange to see this, maybe someone knows any details?

#26: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:39 pm
    ----
Good photos, source unknown -

#27: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:59 pm
    ----
Andrei,

Nice find on the Chrysler XM-1 pictures. I noticed this tank is using the "Light Weight" sprockets, or at least appears to be. I was not aware they even made these that far back. I didn't start seeing these until the late 90's and in my opinion, were junk. Broke to easy back then. Also, if one went bad, you had to replace both on the same sprocket since the teeth and bolt holes to mount on the hub were off set from the original type. Guess even back in the 70's they tried to reduce weight with them and eventually when the M1 grew to over 70 tons they brought them back, lol.

My LT's tank at NTC, notice how it broke. Still were using crap T156 track too, this was in 2000.

B21

#28: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:00 am
    ----
Dear Andrei,
the author of the photo of the XM1 model is Mr. John Hamill, who has his own website and is also an active in Facebook.
Link:
johnsmilitaryhistory.c...morm1.html
www.facebook.com/john.a.hamill

#29: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:14 pm
    ----
Thank you for the information!

#30: Re: XM1 MBT photos. JPG. Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:42 pm
    ----
OTD we celebrate 100 years of Philip Wood Lett. Philip Wood Lett (May 4, 1922 – June 6, 2014) was an American armored fighting vehicle engineer that lead the Chrysler Defense design team in the XM1 tank.
A native of Newton, Alabama, graduated from Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn) in 1944 with a B. S. degree in mechanical engineering. He served in the United States Army in the Corps of Engineers during World War II. After the war he received a master's degree in engineering from the University of Alabama in 1947. Lett completed his education in 1951 when he earned a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from the University of Michigan. Dr. Lett is internationally recognized as the "father of the M-1 Tank." Lett began his civilian career as an engineer in 1950 when he went to work for the Chrysler Corporation.
His thirty-two years with the Michigan-based company were marked by major accomplishments for both the Auburn graduate and Chrysler. He quickly climbed up the corporate ladder at Chrysler and held the positions of Vice President of Engineering, member of the Board of Directors of Chrysler Defense, Inc., as well as General Manager of the Chrysler Sterling Defense Division.
In 1982, General Dynamics Land Systems Division purchased Chrysler's defense business and Dr. Lett served as Vice President and Assistant to the General Manager at General Dynamics until his retirement in 1987. He then founded PWL, Inc., a defense-consulting firm.
In addition to leading the Chrysler design and development team that built the M-1 Tank for the United States Army, Dr. Lett has also been responsible for research and development of a variety of combat and tactical systems built for the United States military, including the T-51 Heavy Recovery Vehicle, the Heavy Equipment Transporter HET-70, and the Mobile Assault Bridge-Ferry Vehicle.

-> AFV News Discussion Board