M43 Self Propelled Gun
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M43 Self Propelled Gun Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:10 pm
    ----
I went exploring today and found this M43 self propelled gun displayed outside American Legion Post 154, 2327 Byron Center Rd in Grandville MI. According to The USA Historical AFV Register only three of these vehicles survive. I took some snapshots. They have a fence around the vehicle which somewhat limited the angles from which I could snap pictures. I should start bringing a ladder on these expeditions so I can get overhead pictures. The pictures are on my blog here in case anyone wants to look at them.

#2: Re: M43 Self Propelled Gun Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:10 am
    ----
Some of our more determined members have devised simple and inexpensive "pole cameras" that require much less commitment than hauling a ladder about. If the plans for one of these aren't found in this thread...

www.com-central.net/in...sc&start=0

...then a PM to members Massimo or JoeD will probably yield helpful suggestions. I believe you'll find some examples of Massimo's efforts in that thread using one. Wink

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Tue May 07, 2013 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: M43 Self Propelled Gun Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 am
    ----
I have a buddy who actually bought a bucket truck like the cable/telephone companies use just so he could take photos from above.

#4: Re: M43 Self Propelled Gun Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 am
    ----
Hello Walter,

great photos. The pole is a good solution, because you can't go everywhere with a bucket truck to get photos from any interesting angle. I was too lazy to buy a camera pole, I'm currently using a classical tripod that I serve as a pole when needed.

P-O

#5: Re: M43 Self Propelled Gun Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:00 am
    ----
I use a monopod, with a cable remote. A full fledged tripod would be on the heavy side.

Moving forward more cameras will allow to control them remotely from a smartphone, that could nicely replace the cable remote and allows better framing too, since the preview will be on the smartphone.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board