What the heck is wrong with Google Earth?
-> Software

#1: What the heck is wrong with Google Earth? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 pm
    ----
I've been using GE on two or three systems, including my present one, for years with good results. Suddenly, while it does load, it hangs on a low res display of any area of interest, my HD is being constantly accessed with no results, and it seems to be trying to load layers that I don't even ask for.

Yes, I deinstalled it and then downloaded fresh with no resolution. Has it finally become so bloated with useless features that the principle one is overwhelmed? I find it to be unusable at this point. I'm using XP, Firefox, nothing out of the mainstream. Problem has been going on for a week. GE seems to have become an incredible resource hog that can no longer load or support itself...and I gather I'm not the only one noticing this.

Furthermore, though my HD is going crazy (only after opening GE, and closing), taskmaster shows no activity...but when I seek computer shutdown, I get the box telling me that a program is not responding, closing may result in loss of unsaved data, blah, blah, blah) and the header shows the hangup is clearly Google Earth. That's before and after a fresh install.

Overall, I'm getting fed the f*** up with Google and it's intrusiveness, demands to install unwanted programs and wanting my phone number just to use my freakin' email. What the hell kind of business model have those morons adopted?

Suggestions?

#2: Re: What the heck is wrong with Google Earth? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:26 am
    ----
OK, may have found a workaround (that may apply to others with less than full optimal systems).

The last GE version apparently does impose some heavy burdens, and most of the features of GE (including street view) can still be found in versions as old as 6.0. I opted for V 6.1 and have full functionality on my desktop and laptops (I neither have nor care about tablets, B'Berries, etc.). What i've done is to install 6.1 with no auto update feature which is probably what got my system overwhelmed in the first place). Conciously, they dropped street view from versions below 6.0 while trying to push that platform at the time, so as even more modest versions (back to 4.3 or something) are available, you will not have streetview. Current rev. is 7.2 or something so something in the 6's will suffice for most non-pro users. So far, so good.

Be sure to deinstall any previous GE versions you have before installing an older version. most of them can be safely found here:
support.google.com/ear...wer=168344

Go to first of the bold blue lines and click, and select the version that best fits with your system AND DO NOT CHECK THE AUTO"UPDATE" BOX.

#3: Re: What the heck is wrong with Google Earth? Author: SnorreLocation: Ziegenhain, Germany PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:59 am
    ----
Thanks for the info!

#4: Re: What the heck is wrong with Google Earth? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:58 pm
    ----
Nicely done - thanks as well!

-> Software