Fort Riley, Kansas, USA
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:01 am
    ----
Hi,

I'll be here at Fort Riley for at least another week or ten days or longer...long story. I will have some free time on my hands. Does anyone need anything specific pics or information regarding the museum or display vehicles around post? (If you happen to know the rough location of whatever you are needing, that's helpful...this place is huge and spread all over the prairie!)

As long as you are reading this...does anyone know what the deal is with the large artillery on and on top of the hill opposite the airfield gate? I spotted it and will try to climb up to it if my knees are willing, but I'm curious to find out anything else about the grouping.

Chuck

#2: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:49 am
    ----
Chuck, good to hear from you!

Someone else probably has more recent info, but wasn't there an "Atomic Annie" and/or something else as remarkable there?

#3: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Chuck, good to hear from you!

Someone else probably has more recent info, but wasn't there an "Atomic Annie" and/or something else as remarkable there?

Hey Doug, it's good to be heard. I've been lurking, but the last couple of years have been alternately hectic and difficult, so I haven't spoken up much.

"Atomic Annie" was among my first thoughts, too. It's definitely a rail-mounted gun, but from a distance it's hard to tell for sure. I'mma try to get some up-close pics while I'm here, but that's a tall hill for my knees and ankle!

Chuck

#4: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:17 am
    ----
According to this, it's atop Freedom Park in Junction City, opposite the airfield and Ft. Riley.

Maybe there's a road up there?

www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2102

Directions in the comments below the main text of the website.

#5: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:30 pm
    ----
I visited Ft Riley in 2006 and made the climb to see it. According to Wikipedia, it is 1 of at least 8 surviving M65 Atomic Cannons. In 2006 there was an M114 on display at the bottom of the hill near the parking lot. Here is a link to the photos that I took during my visit. s698.photobucket.com/u...FVs%202006

Alf Adams

PS, I've never figured out how to insert a hot link into this forum, but if you copy and paste that rather long address into the address bar. it should work. If not, please let me know and I'll try to figure out something else.

(Done)...Doug

#6: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:02 am
    ----
May 2013. Still at Aberdeen.

#7: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:52 am
    ----
Watch the detonation at about 1:30

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY1e9S_

#8: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:15 pm
    ----
Hey Chuck,

I think PO was looking for close up photos of the travel lock on the M4A3 at Ft Riley.

See:
www.com-central.net/in...ic&t=15870

#9: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 pm
    ----
- vagabond
Hey Chuck,

I think PO was looking for close up photos of the travel lock on the M4A3 at Ft Riley.

See:
www.com-central.net/in...mp;t=15870

that's right, thanks !!! I just forgot this request. There are some other things that I would need from the Fort Riley's M4A3, it is mentioned at the bottom of the page.

thanks

P-O

#10: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
- vagabond
Hey Chuck,

See:
www.com-central.net/in...mp;t=15870

that's right, thanks !!! I just forgot this request. There are some other things that I would need from the Fort Riley's M4A3, it is mentioned at the bottom of the page.

thanks

P-O

Gotcha! I haven't been to the museum yet, but should get there this week.

Chuck

#11: Re: Fort Riley, Kansas, USA Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:36 pm
    ----
Nice stuff Chuck. I was hoping to get down to the Museum in the near future (I'm about 3 hours north of you).

By the way, I don't remember the name of the range, but just off Hwy 77 at one of the range controls in the north part of the post are a couple nice "gate guard" vehicles. An M60 and and M41, bot in pretty good shape (at least they were a few years ago when I last saw them). Depending on how far you want to drive I can suggest a few more vehicles. There is an M60A3 at Clay Center, KS. Marysville (about 1.5 - 2 hrs north on Hwy 77) has an M110A2 at the Guard armory and an M7 in the city park. There are vehicles at the KsNG Museum at Topeka also.

-> AFV News Discussion Board