A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:03 pm
    ----
A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum

tinyurl.com/mpz4csj

#2: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:43 pm
    ----
#36 is not an M4A2....

anyway the displays are interesting. Thanks for the photos !!

P-O

#3: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:55 pm
    ----
#32 is quite funny. Apparently, someone at the Patton Museum has an issue with Mark Clark and also wanted to suck up to General Pertraeus.

#4: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: rexross PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:08 pm
    ----
Thanks for your posting.

#5: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:41 pm
    ----
Thanks much for sharing photos of the new Patton Museum. Rick

#6: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 pm
    ----
you guys are more than welcome

#7: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 pm
    ----
- Walter_Sobchak
#32 is quite funny. Apparently, someone at the Patton Museum has an issue with Mark Clark and also wanted to suck up to General Pertraeus.

Lots of people have issues with Mark Clark. Texans in particular, and not without good reason.

#8: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:50 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Walter_Sobchak

Lots of people have issues with Mark Clark. Texans in particular, and not without good reason.

Indeed, Clark as a battlefield commander was not the best we had, as his poor use of the "Texas" division at the failed Rapido river crossing illustrated. However, the sign at the Patton museum impugning Clark is not about battlefield management but rather is about the more nebulous qualities of "character and ethics." In these regards, the criticism seems a bit unfair to me.

One a totally different note, these are great photos. I plan to go to the Patton Museum again some day but it might be a while so photos are a welcome substitute.

#9: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:36 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
#36 is not an M4A2....

P-O

I'm not doubting you but how can you tell from that angle? Confused

#10: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:54 pm
    ----
The photos are most welcome, Thanks much. My question is for the museum staff. I am wondering why, when all the other cases appear to hold rational groups of objects, is the a WW II Luftwaffe MG 81Z twin aircraft MG in a case full of WW I objects? Confused

#11: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 am
    ----
- bsmart
- the_shadock
#36 is not an M4A2....

P-O

I'm not doubting you but how can you tell from that angle? Confused

Bob,

all the small hatch M4A2s have narrow hood castings, and all the M4A4s have wide hood castings, this is how you can tell :

P-O

#12: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:36 am
    ----
to be more complete on the answer, only the small hatch M4A3s and the M4A4s have wide hood castings on the front hull. M4s and M4A2s have the narrow hood castings. So, the Sherman displayed ouside is an M4A3 or an M4A4.

You can see that it has a fitting for the 4″ bomb throwers on the turret side, and that is a typical British fitting, so this tank was used by British troops during WW2. Then you can tell that it is an M4A4 because the British only had very few M4A3s.

P-O

#13: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:10 am
    ----
- piney
The photos are most welcome, Thanks much. My question is for the museum staff. I am wondering why, when all the other cases appear to hold rational groups of objects, is the a WW II Luftwaffe MG 81Z twin aircraft MG in a case full of WW I objects? Confused

Unfortunately this is not the only example of incorrect displays made by the staff. The volunteers have made note of them and will discuss with the staff at our next meeting.

#14: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:39 pm
    ----
Where is Pz.IV now and what is it's current condition?

#15: Re: A trip to Fort Knox and the new Patton Museum Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:38 pm
    ----
- Koluchiy
Where is Pz.IV now and what is it's current condition?

The Pz IV is at Benning and may be still sitting outside. A structure is now being built that will house a lot of the collection. The structure is just a frame with a roof, no sides, that will, at least, keep the rain off. I don't know if it is completed and the vehicles moved. I also don't know what shape the Pz IV is now.

-> AFV News Discussion Board