ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:04 pm
    ----
Hello,

Back in April 2013, we had the chance to tour and photograph the storage area for the US Army Air Defense Artillery Museum at Fort Sill. Curator Jon Bernstein kindly showed us all sorts of interesting stuff. Enjoy!

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...752_px424m

#2: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:21 pm
    ----
Impressive collection and great pictures. Love that T249!
Looking at recent activities in Ft Sill I am sure they will take good care of the Lancia 3RO.
3.7 cm Flakzwilling and Flak 41 8.8 cm are also rare pieces that deserve attention, but I have good hope fo them too.

This looks like a Italian Breda 20 mm to me:
www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...V&lb=1&s=A

More info:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...a_Model_35

Massimo

#3: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:32 pm
    ----
Thanks for the kind words and correction, Massimo!

The Lancia was next up in the queue for being attended to.

It is my understanding that the ADA museum may be in its new buildings by September 2013.

I agree that the museums at Ft Sill are doing a terrific job taking care of their charges. Both curators are great people and are doing their best to preserve history.

#4: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:14 pm
    ----
What is the second picture of?

Thanks!

Jeff

#5: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:52 pm
    ----
very nice pictures. I think that I said it before, but I'm glad that these vehicles are preserved and well taken care of.

Hope that it will be the same fo Fort Lee and Fort Benning vehicles.

P-O

#6: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:13 pm
    ----
Jeff -

The 2nd photo in the post is of the T249. It has a 37mm gatling gun mounted on a modified chassis of an M113. According to the curator, it expended its ammo supply in a quick minute.

Some info here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Vigilante

The photos of the other unusual critters are:
The XM546 Guided Missile Carrier Prototype - Some info here:
www.designation-system.../m-46.html

The Italian Lancia 3RO w/ Ansaldo 90/53 - last of its type.

The Chinese Type 63 - captured in Vietnam during battle of An Loc - first use of US helicopters against armor.

#7: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:47 pm
    ----
I will shamelessly confess to drooling all over my keyboard at the sight of the Vigilante, the Mauler and the Type 63. You and Loren did your usual F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C job.
Now, just a few notes:
- Pics 49-50 show a ZU-23-2, not a ZPU-2.
- Pic 51 shows a 37mm 61-K (M-1939)
- Pic 52: Slight typo there. It's ZPU-4, not ZSU-4.
- Pic 109: The barrel jacket with round holes means that the weapon is a Type 56, the Chinese copy of the Russian 14.5mm KPV. The carriage is a lightweight type, lighter than the normal ZPU-1, and many sources refer to it as the ZGU-1.

#8: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:52 am
    ----
I believe a couple of those came from Aberdeen. The T249 and the Chinese type 63 look very familiar Smile

#9: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:54 am
    ----
This looks like the one that used to be at Ft Bliss at the old ADA Museum.

If it is, I played on it back in 77/78. I used to live a block away and climbed on it many times....

Regards
Don

#10: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:33 am
    ----
Yes, the Lancia used to be at Ft Bliss. It's the only "autocannone" survivor worldwide

Massimo

#11: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:50 am
    ----
VB's, Thanks for sharing photos! T249 and Type 63 were from APG as Bob mentions, they do look good. Rick

#12: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:19 pm
    ----
Thanks for answering about the T249. I believed it to be based on an American AFV but wasn't sure.

Thanks for ALL the images!

Jeff

#13: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 pm
    ----
That "Duster" looks like it could use some TLC. It's a shame that it lacks the spare barrel set on left sponson for display, like the one in Hue, VN has.

#14: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:49 pm
    ----
110 & 111 is an M-37, not a WC

#15: Re: ADA Museum Storage - Ft Sill - Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 pm
    ----
Thanks for the corrections, guys!

-> AFV News Discussion Board