PDF Document - Air-Cooled Diesel Tank Engines
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: PDF Document - Air-Cooled Diesel Tank Engines Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:26 pm
    ----
Here is another document from Teledyne Continental Motors. This document, referred to informally as the "blue book", was created in the 1980's and details their line of AVDS-1790 tank engines. The file is available here. Hope someone finds this of interest.

#2: Re: PDF Document - Air-Cooled Diesel Tank Engines Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:41 pm
    ----
thanks, now I can finally start to sort my photo's of AVDS-1790 engines Cool

#3: Re: PDF Document - Air-Cooled Diesel Tank Engines Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:41 pm
    ----
Walter,

Thanks for sharing this book. Since you are from Michigan and you have close ties to the development of the AVDS-1790 engine, I am posting these pictures and info that might be of interest to you and possibly others. About 6-7 months I was made aware of some static displays on Fort Custer, Michigan, near Battle Creek. Couple of M60A3's and an M48. I always am curious about any AFV's located in Michigan since many of the oddities created by TACOM in Detroit end up on display without much knowledge of their significance. The M48 was most interesting, and after inspecting the pictures I was provided, I came to the conclusion it was a test mule for TACOM.

These images are courtesy of Charlie Ruben, he took them while at Fort Custer.

T48E2 a
T48E2 b
T48E2 c

I believe this tank is RN 09A4161, one of the pilot T48E2's which led to the M48A2 tank. Significant because these are what started the signature M48/M60 low IR emissions rear deck and were first to install the AVI-1790 engines, going from carburetors to Fuel Injection. What's more significant was this particular T48E2 was later selected to be the Test Mule for the first AVDS-1790-P engine, the first Diesel made by Continental and was known as the "Yuma Test Rig". The boxes on the sides are the ad-hoc air cleaner/ pre cleaner units needed for this set up. This tank is mentioned in Mr. Hunnicutts' "Patton" book and the image below is from that book.

Yuma Test Rig

Notice the unique boxes and the additional loops welded to the top grill doors.

This tank as of this last winter is sitting outside behind a Motor Pool by the wood line. Not sure if the post has any idea of it's history. I do not have any contact with Mr. Ruben either. Not sure if the engine is still inside or if it even is the original AVDS-1790-P. Hate to see her made a hard target, which is now happening to a lot of old tanks found on installations no one wants to mess with. The tank and the potential of her still having the original engine should help keep her from target duty or the scrap yard, I would hope. I hope to get up that way to at least do a good photo documentation of her and possibly determine the engine situation. That and to inform the Post Commander what they have there. Just unable to right now.

#4: Re: PDF Document - Air-Cooled Diesel Tank Engines Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:21 pm
    ----
Joe,
I think you found it. Good tank-spotting!
D.

-> AFV News Discussion Board