Swords and Ploughshares Museum
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:09 am
    ----
Swords and Ploughshares Museum, Kars (Canada)

Photo gallery

public.fotki.com/dkmac...-ploughsh/

#2: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: sapper141 PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:39 pm
    ----
it's to bad all that equipment will just rust away in that field. Do they still have the Ram tank that was turned into a snowplow?

#3: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:00 pm
    ----
Good find!
Is this that elusive Cambridge Carrier?

#4: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:59 am
    ----
No it isn't, I would like to see it.

#5: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 am
    ----
I was looking for a recent photo of the M4A4 with CIRD that was once at the museum in Ottawa. I'm quite surprised to see that it ended up in Kars, but that's good news anyway !!

P-O

#6: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:48 am
    ----
The collection is a one-man show. His main focus has been artillery and enough of the right prime movers. The Canadian War Museum took the Ram snowplow tank in a trade for something I forget. And, yes there is enough to feel bad about the continuous deterioration of the holdings to the elements.

#7: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:45 am
    ----
it seems that the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa has few Ram tanks stored somewhere.. do you know if there is a possibility to get a recent photo of each?

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#8: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:20 am
    ----
I know that the Swords and Ploughshares museum got an M4A2 ex-CIRD. (can be seen on the gallery linked above). I presume that it comes from Ottawa and that it has been exchanged for one or maybe the two Ram hulls.

P-O

#9: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:00 pm
    ----
I will ask the man himself where the Rams are, and where the dozer Sherman came from.

#10: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:52 pm
    ----
And while you're asking, can you ask about that 10cm M14FHN gun? Would love to know the story behind that thing....

Cheers!

And P-O I'll see if I can dig up some recent shots of the CWM Rams.

Bruce

#11: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:46 am
    ----
From Mike:

It (the CIRD) belongs to the LdSH and I'm just storing it for them and the CWM.

Terry

#12: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 am
    ----
Hi:

It was several years ago I was last there, but the CIRD Sherman at the museum was a rather incomplete M4A4 (DV) (its engine deck is on the M4A2 (76) (HVSS) on display at CFB Kingston, FYI). The only M4A2 CIRD I've seen on display is the M4A2 (DV) at CFB Borden. Or are we talking about a more recently acquired M4A2 CIRD at the Swords and Ploughshares Museum?

Cheers,

Scott

#13: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:58 am
    ----
Hello,

as far as I know, there are two surviving Shermans with CIRD fittings. The first one is an M4A2 and is displayed at Borden.

The second one is an M4A4 and is currently displayed in the swords and ploughshares museum in Kars. The latter was for some time stored at the CWM Ottawa, and belongs to that museum. Here is few additional information :". In 1992 Ed Storey 'discovered' it at CFB Kingston, Ontario, Canada, where it stood on the base golf course in the Gore Training Area. Its gun, mount, engine and engine deck are missing and the gun aperture in the turret is plated over. It is seen here at the Military Heritage Museum, Brantford, Ontario, Canada, to where it later moved. As of March 1999, this Sherman was being acquired by the Canadian War Museum at Ottawa"

P-O

#14: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 am
    ----
The CWM is a nice new facility, but their storage space is limited. Mike at Swords and Ploughshares has plenty of room. He has had other artifacts in "rough" storage.

#15: Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:01 am
    ----
"Rough Storage"! that's good...

That M4A4 still sits at Swords and Ploughshares though it was moved to near the entrance last summer.
Any gen on that 10cm gun? Is that CWM's too?

-> AFV News Discussion Board